FileMaker Pro and ODBC Data Source connection password?

I just started out with FileMaker Pro 13 last week, and of course I wanted to drive it to the stops to see if I could break it. I thought I’d see if FM could handle a MySQL database ODBC connection to one of my Dreamhost hosted MySQL databases. I have some connections to MySQL 5.3 ANSI Driver set up in Windows 7 ODBC Data Source Administrator. In FM, I tried "Convert an Existing File>slide Files of type down to ODBC Source and all my Data Sources show up. I clicked on one of the MySQL connections, but FM wants a user name, password for the ODBC data source. What does FM want here? It’s not the username, password on the MySQL database. Tried that, besides it’s part of the settings behind the ODBC data sources already. This data source still works for MS Access in Windows and Access doesn’t ask for authentification. Blank doesn’t work. It’s not my Windows admin account login. I’m out of guesses. Where is this username and password set? What does FM want here?

Way down in the FM documentation, they say the odbc connection is for MySQL 5.5 databases, and DH MySQL is 5.1 according to the wiki. Is that the problem? The database version, seems to me, would be isolated from FM by the ODBC driver.

Is it possible for me to set up MySQL 5.5 for a test? Or maybe a local Windows or Ubuntu machine? Are there any MySQL 5.5 test databases out there?

The thing is that the MySQL server is handled by dreamhost themselves, so you can’t update nor switch to another MySQL version. Doesn’t stop you from trying installing MySQL 5.5 locally on your own machine. Now, I’m not familiar with the software, but I did find a little finding:

Did you.

1), altered/changed the TCP/IP server to see if it matches with the hostname of your MySQL database? (see databases on the control panel @ Dreamhost)
2), Whitelisted your own IP address? I assume you wish for the program to connect to the database from your own machine.

I’ve read your first paragraph 5 times and I’m lost, but the fact you posted means you must still be having problems connecting.

If you’re are trying to connect to a dreamhost database from outside dreamhost you must whitelist the non-dreamhost IP first. From the databases page in the panel, click the user name with access. On the page that loads, look for the box name “allowable hosts”.

Sure, I already have my PC’s IP on the allowable hosts list on DH panel. I’m going to try an install of mySQL 5.5 on a ubuntu machine I have here and see what happens.
[hr]
Nice, the install of MySQL 5.5.41 on my Ubuntu host went pretty easy. Tomorrow I’ll set up some Machine Data sources on windows to point to this new instance.

I set up a ODBC data source in Windows 7 back to my local MySQL 5.5 install on Ubuntu Linux and it’s the same deal. In Filemaker, Convert an Existing file lets me browse to my ODBC data connections, but still wants a user name and password for the ODBC data source, even though that is set up in Window’s ODBC Data Source Administer.