File Structure

design

It’s been a while since I’ve read any discussion on site structure so I’m looking to get some updated guidelines on a proper structure for my site. Used to be that you’d have an index, a docs folder, and an images folder, but a lot has changed since then. How should I set up my site taking into account that I’m now using PHP for nearly everything. Also, how should I decide on the file permissions for various files?

Structure really depends on the site contents. A docs folder is still pretty common (though many people name it PDF and then also put docs in it… haha) as is images. The biggest thing to look at is what the site has now and what it will have. For instance, if your site has a new comic every day, it might make sense to create a folder for each year with twelve folders inside for the months and name the comics by the day. The usual “about us,” “contact us,” “main page,” etc. are often kept in the root directory, but it depends on how extensive the site is. Ultimately, you’re trying to avoid clutter and stay organized with the future of the site in mind.

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.

Well, that helps a bit, thanks.