File hosting

hi i would like to know if we can host a file hosting server in DH? thanks

Do you mean an open site allowing people to upload whatever files they want for free sharing?

If so, technically this is allowed, but remember two things:

1. If someone uploads and shares copyrighted content, you will generally be held accountable and I can’t imagine any excuse holding up with the abuse department.
  2. If you site gets too much traffic and hoses the server all the time, you will be asked to upgrade to a dedicated server - or perhaps a PS server nowadays.

If this isn’t what you mean, let us know here and we’ll try to answer whatever questions you might have.

Oh, and remember, we’re just fellow customers here, not DreamHost employees.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

It’s not a problem as long as you’re legal and you don’t use too much power from the servers. These are shared servers and if your site need much processor power it may require a dedicated server. Storage and data transfer shouldn’t be a problem as long as you don’t use more than what’s included in your plan.

thanks … yes i was thinking of having a file share site like rapid share but you are right… thanks for your help

I would not recommend that you use DreamHost for free and open file hosting like RapidShare. It would technically work to a certain degree, but it would be a bad idea.

Personal file hosting is not a problem.