File Database with Image Thumbnails

apps

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a creative collaberative file repository for a group of people to share research for a creative project. Everyone would like to use FTP to post files on the server, but we’d like to set up a web based interface to browse and search the system.

The ideal system would do the following:

• Automatically sense changes to the folders on the FTP and add the files to the database.
  • Generate thumbnails for images and movies at lower resolutions so people can decide what they want to download quickly before actually transferring the files.
  • Index DOC and PDF documents so they are searchable.

The best solution I’ve been able to find for something like this is the OWL Intranet Repository. http://owl.sourceforge.net/. Does anyone know of some other good open source file repository systems that might have a more simple interface?

Thanks.

Well, Gallery (can be installed through the one-click installs) comes close to what your looking for, and possible could be added onto with plugins. You can upload images to a FTP folder, and then use the web interface to generate thumbnails and categorize the images. IIRC Gallery also handles videos. I don’t know about the DOC and PDFs, but it is possible that someone’s already written a plugin to handle this. Just thought it might be worth checking out.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

This will be very helpful. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Image_Magick

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Image_Magick is definitely a good tool, but I’m looking for an interface to be able to browse the file system and have the system automatically generate the thumbnails when the page is accessed.

I don’t think Gallery is actually robust enough… The OWL system I mentioned before seems good but I just wanted to see if there were any other options out there.

Thanks