Few questions before I join

Ok, I have a few questions.

1. How is the uptime (% would be nice), I can’t find info on DreamHosts uptime anywhere?

2. Can I have unlimited pointed domains or does the unlimited only apply to domains hosted here?

3. Does anyone have any negitive or positive things I should know about DreamHost, if so please tell?

I thank you all in advance for being open and honest.

Since I’ve been a customer, uptime has been reasonably good, with only a few (very) short outages that were rectified quickly.

You pretty much have total control over your domains. You can host both the domains and websites here at DreamHost, or you can host the domains elsewhere and point them to DreamHosts DNS servers. I believe the ‘unlimited’ applies to both situations.

The major annoyance I have with DreamHost is the Web Admin Panel. They do not use cPanel, preferring to use their own homegrown panel. While their panel is fairly complete and offers most of the functionality that you could want, it is also extremely slow on occasions. This has been especially the case since the recent plan changes (and influx of new users).

Many users have also reported a dramatic slowdown in their websites recently, possibly also due to the recent influx. Personally, I have not noticed a speed problem with my sites, just the aformentioned Web admin panel.

Hopefully these problems are a temporary symptom and DreamHost will take steps to rectify the situation soon.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEFIFTY[/color] ( Click for details )

The uptime for my sites has been good and I haven’t noticed any speed problems with my sites thus far, I can’t quote percentages on the uptime as its not something I’ve been monitoring that closely, I would take a guess that the downtime for my sites in the last month would be less than 5 minutes.

With regard to the domains, you can have unlimted domains I believe pointed to the DH nameservers.

The only negative point that comes to mind is as raz2133 said, the panel of late has become a chore to use due to the speed problems with it. Hopefully DH will resolve this problem quickly.

Web Hosting Reviews

Hmmmm thanks… I have a few more questions, do they have awstats for tracking sites traffic? And do you get individual stats for each site?

Uptime?
Well, here’s whats going on today:
30 mins 5 secs ago: Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
39 mins 24 secs ago: Outage first reported.

Yesterday my site was down for 20 minutes before they got it back up. A shame too, they used to be decent.

ouch… uptime that bad? can anyone else relate to what he’s saying? I need good uptime, thats a must…
Oh yeah and, is the setup fee refundable?

I have had much better up time than that. Execpt for the few times the entire network has gone out (LA power outage being an example) my sites are genearlly up and running. I think one thing to keep in mind, is that most people post on these forums to say my site isn’t working! they don’t post on a regular basis saying, everything is just hunky-dory today.

-Matttail

Well I am like 2 seconds away from signing up, but I want to make sure that the setup fee is refundable too, does anyone know if it is?

You have 97 days for a full refund so give it a try. Lately the control panel has been slow to respond but that’s not a reason to try it out - webid (panel accounts) are free.

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan

You should be aware that the 97 day guarantee does not apply if you pay using PayPal.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEFIFTY[/color] ( Click for details )

3 days in a row of downtime!

11 mins 18 secs ago: Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
17 mins 27 secs ago: Outage first reported

Edit:
Outage resolved: The outage has been resolved.
(2006-02-24 08:56:05 PDT, 0 secs ago)
Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
(2006-02-24 08:31:29 PDT, 24 mins 36 secs ago)
Outage first reported.
(2006-02-24 08:25:20 PDT, 30 mins 45 secs ago)

But now, less than an hour later…
13 mins 4 secs ago: Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
21 mins 17 secs ago: Outage first reported.

But its ok because we have awesome growth! Amirite?

Wow… You know, this is the kind of things that make people not want to join, right?

I wouldn’t even think about joining until the problems listed here are resolved.

If you’re not convinced it’s a problem, I posted the results of several benchmarks comparing Dreamhost (I joined two days ago on a trial basis) and my current shared host here.

I just read this whole thread and the main response from Dreamhost to all this is that there are domains on some shared servers that “hog” the cpu for various reasons.

I can’t believe that they don’t have some sort of limiter to cap these sites. Why should we suffer because some bozo is running wild with their account? Isn’t there a technical solution to this?

Hey hey, new week. Same downtime!

26 mins 21 secs ago: Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
26 mins 41 secs ago: Outage first reported.

I’ve had downtimes as long as a whole night before, they just said that other users on my box were being naughty with the cpu…

Also the CPU load times are veryyy bad. I’d suggest waiting for them to fix it, even though they tell me that load times of 1-2 are more than reasonable…

Just a small update on the slowdown issue experienced by some users. This issue has been resolved now. It seems that the cause was a saturated internal link between two of DreamHost’s core routers.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for details )

Thanks Mark - hey where you been? I was missing you actually.

Cheers,
Peter

It’s nice to be missed (I think), but I really didn’t go anywhere. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for details )

1. My website uptime has been good, no problems there.

2. Yes, unlimited domains is standard on all plans. Even if they are not registered here at DreamHost.

3. I find DreamHost to be very good overall. My website is fast and DreamHost let you do almost anything, as long as it does not affect other people on your shared server.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all yearly plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)