Few questions b4 signup!

hi, im considering signing up with dreamhost but i have few questions regarding the hosting. My questions are :

1. Is mp3 (music albums)hosting allowed on dreamhost registered domains?
  2. Even if these albums have copyright restrictions on them?
  3. If i am doing something wrong unknowingly, will i get a warning or my account will be cancelled imediately w/o 2nd chances?

no, no hosting company on earth will LEGALLY allow you to upload copyrighted mp3 files to their servers, buy your music

Dude. Let me get this straight. You are asking what would happen if you “unknowingly” upload mp3 files ripped illegally from copyrighted albums? Er… that’s a tough one. Let me think about it for a second and get back to you.

I’ve given it some thought, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you must be retarded.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

lol im thinkin about puttin my collection of albums i have bought and sharing it by putting it up on the website. Thats what i was trying to say. Is that allowed?

No. Absolutely not. Your account will almost certainly be terminated, and you would most likely get a letter from the RIAA’s lawyers.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Unless you actually had the rights to legally distribute the music, why do think it would be allowed?

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color] – zaps the monthly plans too!

Unless it’s your own compositions?

You make a very valid point, sarawalliams. There is no problem hosting mp3s as long as you are the artist or have the express consent of the artist, provided they still have the rights to give. If they previously sold the rights to a recording company or something, then it’s not allowed.

This post by munna explains why he’s either a troll, or just really naive.

http://benconley.net
http://teamshocker.com

He’s RIAA looking to see if they should seize DH’s records and cruise all the hosters…

That wouldn’t surprise me, given the behavior of the RIAA over the last few years, anything is possible :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

[quote]1. Is mp3 (music albums)hosting allowed on dreamhost registered domains?
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]2. Even if these albums have copyright restrictions on them?
[/quote]

If those restrictions permit you from redistributing the music, then no. You need to have permission from the copyright holder to distribute them. You may have to ask the copyright holder (if that’s you then it’s up to you).

[quote]3. If i am doing something wrong unknowingly, will i get a warning or my account will be cancelled imediately w/o 2nd chances?
[/quote]

This depends on what you did. In most cases you would probably get a warning. Contact DreamHost if you need a more precise answer.

He said he bought those albuns, so I guess they are regular cd’s, with no distribution rights. No, you can’t host them here, or in any regular webhoster…

Believe me, avoid those problems. If you want to show your friends those musics, search them on YouTube, and send them those links.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

guys i gota completely response then what i was expecting. THis was more of an ambush lol. the reason why im surprised is because friend of mine has domain hosted with dreamhost hes doin the same thing putting new albums for downloads. Thats how he recomended dreamhost and hes been runing the site sharing new albums to be downloaded on his site for the last few months w/o a problem. I wont mention the name of the website here, though. ANd yes these are copyright albums.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot…Over!!

If this asinine post doesn’t illustrate bald-faced malevolence, I don’t know what does. Nobody is this stupid.

http://benconley.net
http://teamshocker.com

Just because you was caught yet, doesn’t mean he won’t be. Don’t do it… if not because you risk DreamHost’s reputation, than do it for you. If RIAA get you… they don’t forgive.
This is my advice…

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Just host it off your cable modem. The RIAA will find you there too.

I did read your other post (before the edit) and I must admit that I thought you were just being overly suspicious. However, given the general direction this thread is taking and some of the sentiments expressed in recent posts, I think there may indeed be something strange going on.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks for placating me, Raz. As you can easily see I’m pretty hyper-sensitive about this topic. It’s because I offer free hosting of promotional recordings for a few electronic musicians in Florida, in the hopes that it will help them “follow their dreams” with their art. It’s at the request of the artists, there is no finance involved, and there are no licensing infringements of any kind because the work is all original.

I just feel strongly about distancing myself from the rat’s nest of legalities regarding commercial music. The whole reason we produce and listen to independent music is that we think mainstream pop pabulum is homogenizing our society, and discouraging creative ways of thinking.

Have said that, I apologize for being so vocal in a public forum. It was rude and stuff.

It’s not natural law for “copyrighted” file sharing to be illegal, or for copyrights to last indefinitely.

The trend is for big media to increase control now, but it can be reversed with the strokes of pens.

In the meantime, Dreamhost will shut it down quicker than you can say “torrent this,” if they get a complaint and see something that looks illegal.

tor.eff.org

I agree totally and I don’t think it is just the music industry that has moved in this direction. I believe the movie/TV industry is following a similar path.

I don’t think you have any reason to apolagise for your post, it did cause me (and hopefully others) to take a moment and think about things in a different light.

Mark