Fetchmail

Hi folks

I wander if someone can help me with this one. I’m setting up a box with Postfix as the local mda, and then using fetchmail to fetch mail off the Dreamhost server and drop it into the correct mailbox.

I’ve set up Postfix correctly, I think, but I’m having some problems with fetchmail.

When I run fetchmail, it logs into the server correctly, checks for new messages, but when it tries to retrieve those new messages it just hangs until it gives up. I’m not sure if this is a configuration issue I need to sort out on my end (probably) so I’m just posting here to see if anyone can spot what I’m doing wrong.

Here’s my .fetchmailrc file:

poll mail.fbagroup.co.uk proto pop3 user <mailbox> pass <pass> fetchall Cheers

• wil

I actually haven’t used fetchmail (or getmail, which some people claim is better), so someone else might be more helpful… Does fetchmail have any debugging options and / or is there a logfile?

Can you retrieve a message by hand? ie:

jazz% telnet jareth 110
Trying 66.33.198.201…
Connected to jareth.dreamhost.com.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
+OK Hello there.
user william
+OK Password required.
pass xxxxxxxx
+OK logged in.
STAT
+OK 3 6362
RETR 3
+OK 560 octets follow.
Return-Path: william@veggiechinese.net
Delivered-To: william@toby.dreamhost.com
Received: from bacall (bacall.veggiechinese.net [66.93.64.113])
by toby.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 69922373CC
for xxx@xxx.xxx; Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: xxx@xxx.xxx.xxx
Subject: test
Message-Id: 20020829072103.69922373CC@toby.dreamhost.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0 tests= version=2.20
X-Spam-Level:

test

quit
+OK Bye-bye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

If your other box has a static IP address, you might want to simply forward mail to that box from our machine instead of using fetchmail.

[quote]If your other box has a static IP address, you might want
to simply forward mail to that box from our machine instead
of using fetchmail.

[/quote]

Aha! Now that’s an idea. Yes, the box has a static IP address. This would be a much cleaner way of doing things. How would I go about doing this, though? Set up a catch-all account on dreamhost that forwards all mail to a catch-all account on my local machine? I’m not quite sure how that would work in terms of the mda on the local machine dropping the mail in the correct boxes.

Yes, I can retrieve my mail from that box using any other method other than fetchmail. I’m sure it’s a config switch somewhere. I’ve posted a message to the mailing list to see if anyone can help.

Thanks!

• wil

You can forward to an outside account in the same way that you can forward to an account on our system (you can even forward to both).

So setup an address (or catchall, or whatever), and forward it. If you don’t have a hostname that points to this IP address, you might want to create one (or have support create one)… sending to:
luser@[192.168.1.1]
should work, but I’m not sure if our system will allow it.