Fastest way to drop a table?

I apparently have a table that’s gotten out of control and has accumulated 10 million entries. Attempts to drop the table or access it in any way or remove values are timing out. Any suggestions?

can’t log in directly either, it hangs at Reading table information for completion of table and column names. pretty much any direct or indirect access to mysql seems to hang

What do you mean by “RL”? Hang on, lemme check wikipedia…

Are you saying that you can’t manipulate the database with phpMyAdmin?

-Scott

apparently when i requested that the table with 10 million+ entries get dropped, it made everything sql related (including logging in) hang for a few hours. never tried to drop a table that big so i wasn’t expecting it to take that long.

I’m no DBA, but is there a way to rename the table, then recreate an empty one?

When all else fails, submit a support ticket. Maybe they have a better way to drop that table.

-Scott

i need to figure out how to submit tickets, i’ve never tried that.

weird result though. after the page timed out when i dropped the table & closed it, about 3-4 hours later suddenly something popped into place and everything was running super fast again. i think that the table-drop process got caught in a while-loop and somehow kept running well after i left the database manager. not sure if someone on staff what i was trying to do and did it for me, or if it just took that long to drop the table.