Facebook Application

I am looking to host a low use facebook application, I have had experience doing such a project on 2 other 3rd party hosts, and had issues that I had to work around and with. I am wondering if I were to build a low traffic app (100+ single users per day) if I might run into any issues?

There is absolutely no way to tell without knowing what your application does and how it works. A good place to start getting a feel for whether you might have issues here is to describe the issues you had before, and ask here if you are likely to have those same issues. :wink:

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

The application is a very specific survey tool. I start by asking because I want to know if possibly Dreamhost forbids facebook applications in there terms of service.

There is no prohibition against Facebook applications, per se, in our Terms of Service, which you can review at http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

I’m running a Facebook application on Dreamhost.
Here are my stats for the last 7 days:
Successful requests: 1,734,747
Average successful requests per day: 247,820
Failed requests: 8,396
Distinct hosts served: 3,217
Data transferred: 3.54 gigabytes
Average data transferred per day: 517.94 megabytes

As you can see the only issue I have is Failed requests due to Facebook’s API being sometime too long.
If I read a user’s stream to get a bit too much posts (for e exemple posts for last 12 hours) Facebook can be so long to answer that the server’s security routine kill my script because of timeout.

If you code well, and are ok with less than 0.5% of request failure (no doubt you’ll have less than 0.01% if you don’t make big FB requests), then there’s no issue with hosting a facebook app on dreamhost.

I need some general advice on how to get started hosting an FB application on DH. I created a directory, put all the proper PHP files in it, and registered the application and its location with FB. When I go to the canvas page, I get these errors:

[quote]Warning: require(…/fblib/src/facebook.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /[server path]/kuyperia/index.php on line 3

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘…/fblib/src/facebook.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear’) in /[server path]/kuyperia/index.php on line 3
[/quote]

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to install some special software on the server to run a PHP Facebook app? Could my file permissions be set incorrectly? I am brand new at FB app development, and I could use some help.

Thanks,

Ben W.

This is an old, unrelated thread. You should really start a new one. That said, you seem to be missing a file called facebook.php in the path …/fblib/src