External nameserver

I have my own nameservers and want to use them for one of my domains.

I have registered the NS records through the “Manage Domains” admin panel. However, my nameservers are NOT showing up in any of the dreamhost nameservers.

Every time I contact support they just point me to the whois information and say look, we have updated our database.

Uggg, has anybody else had this experience?

I have checked my nameservers and they work great, now I just need to get dreamhost to help out and actually make the world know where my nameservers are located at.

Which of the following are you trying to do?

a) Use actual, physical DNS servers somewhere else for a domain registered through, and hosted by, Dreamhost.

b) Make your whois info show ns1.your.domain instead of ns1.dreamhost.com, even though DNS is actually handled by DH.

I have registered the NS records through the “Manage Domains” admin panel.

By “registered”, do you mean you added them as the authoritative namesevers for your DH-registered domain?

my nameservers are NOT showing up in any of the dreamhost nameservers.

Do you mean that your DNS server hostnames aren’t resolving via the DH servers? If DH thinks they’re authoritative for your domain, they won’t check anywhere else. What do other, third-party, non-DH, nameservers say?

What’s the actual domain name in question?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Neither actually…

I am using my own physical DNS servers somewhere else for a domain registered through Dreamhost. It’s NOT hosted here.

My DNS servers are NOT listed as the authoritative servers for my domain on dreamhosts dns servers.

Other non-dreamhost namerservers show dreamhost.com DNS servers as authoritative…thats what I am attempting to get changed.

Not sure what the issue is…

Thanks for any help.

woops, actually missed one of your questions:

I have registered the NS records through the “Manage Domains” admin panel.

By “registered”, do you mean you added them as the authoritative namesevers for your DH-registered domain?

Yes, dreamhost is the registrar for the name and I have added/set the NS records to point to my name servers.

So now that you’ve added your own authoritative nameservers, you’re just waiting for DH to update your whois info, right? Couldn’t they give you an ETA for this? It should be trivial for them to see that while their database may have been updated, the whois info they’re handing out has not.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

That is the crux of the issue…the whois servers show the correct information. However dreamhosts DNS servers still do NOT list my namer servers even though they are shown in the admin panel.

Ok…finally after the 4th attempt at support emails, I got a reply that makes sense.

They actually rejected my entries for DNS servers (But never notified me) because they were not “registered” as name servers by the registrar were they are actually registered. I didn’t realize they needed to be registered as a DNS server their. I just assumed that the registrar of the domain you wished authority over would need to have them listed.

Oh well, guess things will all fall into place now.

That’s what a developer gets for sticking his nose into a system administrator area :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies.