External mysql?

The wiki seems to indicate that opening 3306 is possible: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Configure_MySQL_on_Debian_or_Ubuntu

But when I try to bind my public IP (in my.cnf) restarting mysql just hangs. The log says: “Can’t start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Cannot assign requested address”.

Should I bind it to instead? Or the private IP (10.10.10.x)? Then is there a router rule (like port forwarding) that I need to enable?

That is correct, you need to add a rule to your security group for port 3306, then modify the my.cnf file putting the private IPv4 address in the bind variable, and then restart mysqld. That will make MySQL listen on your private network, and if the instance running MySQL has a floating ip, make it accessible on the floating ip as well.

Thanks Justin! For some reason I couldn’t get it to work at first. But then I just terminated the instance/launched a new instance and now it works. I also deleted all the IPv6 rules. They’re not necessary if we’re not using them, eh?

That’s great to hear! That is true, if you don’t plan to use IPv6 then you can remove them. It shouldn’t hurt to leave them there either.