Export maillist from dreamhost?

can i export my mail list from dreamhost?

It’s going to be really hard to answer you question without knowing what “mail list” you are talking about. :wink:

Are you referring to the DreamHost announcement list feature that is available from within the panel, the DreamHost mailman implementation for discussion lists that is available from within the Control Panel, or some other “mail list” software you have installed and are running?

Each of these programs has different built-in capabilities and features, so it is important to know what it is you are using. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

i talk about dreamhost announcement list from my panel.

I see. There is not a formalized “export” function available for the panel, and you cant really “get at” the right files in the shell to manipulate it from there, but a really easy way to “export” the list is to just copy the subscribers list from within the panel.

Once you have done this, you can easily (with a program if you want, or just with a decent editor) “massage” the copied “list” into a CSV (“Character Separated Value”) style datafile suitable for importing into other programs, a database, spreadsheet, etc.

The general process goes something like this:

1. Go to The Control Panel -> Mail -> Announcement Lists screen in the Control Panel.

2. Click the “Edit” Link in the “Actions” column of the row for the list you want to work with.

3. Scroll down to the “Edit Subscriber List” section, and select what information you want to be displayed. There you will see, “Current Subscriber List (N):” (where “N” is the number of items in the list) followed by links to “Show/hide Dates” and “Show/hide Names” (Depending upon how you last left those items set).

4. Use those links to add (or remove) the display of those items, so that you have the basic “contents” of the list information the way you want it.

5. Move your cursor into the text area and “select” all the text in the box (exact method varies depending upon your os/browser), and “copy” that data.

6. Now you can open an editor on your computer (use a programmers’ editor, not a “WordProcessor”) and “paste” that copied data into a file. If you only displayed the email addresses - then you are done.

7. If you chose to also display the Names and/or Dates, from this point, you can either execute a couple of “search and replace” operations to “clean-up” your data to put it in the format you want it to be in, or just “save” that file for subsequent processing with another program.

I generally include the Names and the Dates, and then use a couple of mass “search and replace” runs to change the extraneous "[name: ", "[joined on ", and “]” characters into field separators (with the last “]” being omitted altogether of course, or changed into the end of line character/s appropriate for my intended use.)

Granted, it’s not particularly elegant, but it only takes a couple of minutes to do, and I can use whatever file format/character separator I want to delineate the fields this way - so it’s almost better than a “canned export” function that might offer less flexibility. :wink:

–rlparker

thanks!! =)

No problem! I hope that lets you get what you need. :wink:

–rlparker