Existing domain

I’m thinking about signing up with DreamHost and silly me got stumped at the first section - free domain name. If I don’t want to register a new domain name but I do have an existing domain that I can transfer over, do I get that for free for as long as I’m with DH like I would if I registered a brand new domain? I guess it can’t be free right now since I’ve already paid for it for a year but once it’s up for renewal, will it be free or no?

I was in the same situation. If you’ve already registered then in effect you merely transfer the dns settings to point to the new hosted site here at Dreamhost. The knowledge database has lots of help on that re transferring. When it’s time to renew it you might as well just keep it registered where it is and renew it there to keep it simple.

Then you can still use that “free reg credit” for another domain you might want to register later on. So it is not wasted on the first existing one.

Use sweetdream25 at signup for an instant $25 off your new account. Not sure which DreamHost plan is best? This chart lists the plans.

So, when signing up, I just enter in the domain I already own and select “I already own this domain and will change my nameservers to DreamHost’s”, right? And later on, should I choose to register a new domain, that one will be free?

Yep. That’s it. They will honor the free one for a domain you register later. It worked for me and the policy has not changed. It makes sense as many people come here with existing domains already, so they want to get those moved over first and then set up new ones later.

Cheers,
Peter

Use sweetdream25 at signup for an instant $25 off your new account. Not sure which DreamHost plan is best? This chart lists the plans.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Yes, it will be transferred over to DH and renewed free of charge. During the sign up process, just check “existing domain” instead of “new domain”…

If you already signed up and still don’t have a “free” domain name, you can add it from your Web Admin Panel, under Domains > Reg. Transfer. Just make sure you check the appropriate radio button (or box?) to specify that the domain you’re transferring is the one free one you get with your hosting plan…

In either case, this is still a domain name transfer, so remember to make sure that you enter all the contact info correctly and that the domain is not in locked status at the time you apply for the transfer!

Good luck!

Max