I’ve got a site hosted here and recently added another domain pointing to my account. Just to experiment I was going to set it up with Google Apps but I’m very confused by exactly what this implies. I’ve read the wiki page (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Google_Apps) but I still don’t get it. I’m a developer and I use the Google APIs and eat Google for lunch, but the relationship between DH and BigG is confusing.
I’m not sure these are the right questions but if I can get these answers and do something with the new domain then I’ll update the wiki with my experience:
- Why link a DH account to Google Apps? Tools for building web pages?
- What is DH doing if Google is providing apps or even hosting HTTP/email accounts?
- Is Google GMail and better or worse than DH servers? (SMTP, POP3, and IMAP)
- Is there any hint with mail sent from myextradomain.com that mail is going through GMail? I have some colleagues that once in a while get their mail bounced back to me and I tease them about getting a “real” email server. By the way, we don’t use DH email now, we’ve been using everyone.net for a few years with absolutely Zero headaches, having come from a non-DH provider that gave me anxiety pains with every service.
- How transparent is www.mydomain.com from googlesubdomains.mydomain.com? Can we customize the app UI to match our themes?
- Is it any easier to use Google API tools from a DH server than from any other host, OS, etc?
What am I not asking that I should? Again, I just don’t get it. Sorry - and thanks!