Exec errors in procmail


#1

Starting a few days ago, my installation of SpamAssassin stopped being reliably called, resulting in a deluge of spam. I’ve been logging the procmail script that drives it, and have found that it intermittantly, but frequently, fails to exec SpamAssassin. It’s nothing to do with SA itself, but it seems to be unable to access the directory in which SA is installed. I added a trivial shell script to that folder and called in in my procmail script, and it fails just like the SA calls.

I suspect that something in the clustering is broken, and that not all the hosts have access to my bin installation directory.

Following are some excerpts from my procmail log illustrating the problem.

Here is a good pass, although I don’t know why the log is out of order:

procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/home/sborg/bin/testbin"
procmail: Locking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: Executing "/home/sborg/bin/testbin"
procmail: Executing "/home/sborg/bin/spamassassin"
procmail: [11503] Mon Apr 23 16:10:20 2007
procmail: Unlocking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: No match on “^X-Spam-Level:.********”

And here is a typical failure:

procmail: Locking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: Executing “/home/sborg/bin/testbin”
/home/sborg/bin/testbin: /home/sborg/bin/testbin: Transport endpoint is not connected
procmail: Executing “/home/sborg/bin/spamassassin”
/home/sborg/bin/spamassassin: /home/sborg/bin/spamassassin: Transport endpoint is not connected
procmail: Error while writing to "/home/sborg/bin/spamassassin"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
procmail: Unlocking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: No match on “^X-Spam-Level:.********”

Anyone know what’s going on here?


#2

Is there a reason you need to post about this twice?
You already have one thread about it, no need for more than that.

That said, your issue looks very similar to my recent problems with my custom PHP5-FCGI install, which likewise was saying that my binary didn’t exist (or couldn’t be called at least).
Running standard CGI worked fine though, which I find HIGHLY odd, and feel that it’s a misconfiguration issue with something in DreamHost’s current setup. With all of the outages and changes with their network lately, it would only make sense.

Best to contact support though and let them figure it out, as there’s no reason your spamassassin install shouldn’t be working (from what I can tell).


#3

Support says:

I’m sorry about that, there was an issue with one of the email servers in
your cluster, causing it to be unable to access your home directory all
the time. We just fixed things up, so let me know if the problem
persists.


#4

Awesome! Glad they were able to sort it out somewhat quickly :wink: