in that statement, wouldnt the site still be up just on the “old” dns until it updates to the new one? why does the changing of the a record automatically shut the site down, but i have to wait for it to come back up? and why is mail.mydomain. not working anymore either??? no?
ALSO, when i change the a record i should either edit or delete the existing ones correct? not have two a records with different IP addresses?
and to note, when i changed it back it took about 5 mins to update and i was back up and running on the old IP… i know the whole “wait for dns” but in 12 years of working with websites, dns and hosts… i’ve never had to wait much longer than 10-15 min wondering if there is something deeper… dont want to swap the a record and go to bed only to find the client emailing me constantly all morning LOL
its also not technically propegation, its the expiration of the old record. Propegation only happens on NEW records that never existed before… but thats besides the point… it makes sense that i keep seeing the old site until it updates, but it doesn’t make sense to throw an error unless something is getting lost on the way to the new server… which has the domain added
I guess my biggest concern is… if i stop “full hosting” and swap my A records leaving the MX records the same… and having the domain added at my new host… that’s pretty much the correct process, and its most likely that the mail.mydomain.com error is just a coincidence that it probably wasn’t working to begin with before i started this process… and that the only function of the setting for google apps in DH is to have it auto create the MX records for me instead of having to manually do it because google mail settings are all handled on their end as long as you point to the right ip or url for their service?
if that sounds right and the correct process for DH, which is a new host for me since i never deal with hosts that have a button for “fully hosted” vs custom dns so i don’t know if there is any other thing in the background going on thats throwing that error…then ill gladly go grab food and wait, but i let it sit for 2-3 hours earlier and it threw the error still.