/etc safe to edit?

software development

I’m not new to web server stuff, but not insanely experienced. I’m trying to install a script that wants me to add an alias to the /etc/aliases file.

I can ssh into it, and ‘pico aliases’ works fine. however, is this safe to do…mainly is the /etc directory just for my site (is there a separate one on every user’s account directory)?

Although I haven’t tried saving my changes yet, since I can ssh into the file, I assume it’s safe for me to mess with - and that it is only my account that will be effected…is this right? Thanks.

I’d bet 50 cents you can’t save changes to /etc/aliases. Most likely it’s owned by root, and you only have read permission. So you can “play” with it all you want, but not save changes.

They need more support help.
Pay me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]

Ah ok - so much for my trigger finger :slight_smile:
I take it then that there’s no way around this by some way overriding it with a local version or something like that…is there?
Thanks for the info

It all depends on the script.

They need more support help.
Pay me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]