/etc/aliases

Hi, I am yrying to set up a few email redirects which on other servers I could do by modifying the /etc/aliases file. I have been trying to access this file but the /etc folder seems to be in a protected location which I can not access.

I am wondering if there is another way to access it that I can not find, in which case please let me know. Or is there some alternative I can use?

Thanks

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Mail > Manage Email[/color]

• [color=#0000CC]Create New Email Address[/color]

• Scroll down to Forward-Only Email and fill out the form.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thank you for the quick reply.

That won’t really work for me because I need to forward to a dynamic address. I need to pull the addresses out of a database and they will be changing every few months. The user will not be able to access the dreamhost panel.

You might automate using the API: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/API#Mail_commands

Thank you, that looks like it can work for me but I have a couple questions as to the actual usage of it.

Would I need to create a new bash file to run these commands? Or is there some file that I can add them to?
To change the forwarding address of an address would I need to first remove the filter and then create a new one?
Can I use ‘filter_on’ choose ‘to’ and set ‘filter’ to an address which I have not created in my control panel? The idea would be to forward using just a filter rather than creating a new user account.
Lastly, I keep coming across mentions of a file called ‘.forward.postfix’ is this applicable to me?

Thanks,
Shawn

Been promising myself for ages to set aside a day to play around with the API, but I haven’t as yet. You should be able to access the API by practically any means - bash, perl, php, C, windoze.exe, etc. From the looks of the Mail functions you could set up multiple forwards individually for one account and remove them as they become redundant. It doesn’t appear to have a mail-add_account function (which would likely be abused - eg. mailinator.dreamhost.com) but it might allow you to add filters to forward to addresses outside your domain. Only thing I could suggest is to just dive in and start toying with it.

Thanks for the help

Right now there’s no way to configure mail forwarding from the API, but adding that ability would be an excellent idea. Someone should suggest it: https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg