Error posting to this board

I just got an internal server error responding to the subversion question in this forum. I went back to the thread list and the thread/post is gone. This has happened to me before. What causes this?

Use promo code [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color] for 50% extra disk and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons

That usually happens when a thread has been deleted.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Sure, but why was the thread deleted? I saw that post, and it seemed like a typical call for help. Why did it disappear?

-Scott

Perhaps the OP deleted it after deciding there wasn’t a problem after all?

si-blog

Sure you can. Click “Edit” next to your last post, scroll down below the text area and you will see a “Kill This Mutha” button.

si-blog

You can delete your own posts during the same limited period of time that you can edit them. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Hmmm…I deleted my reply, but there’s still a placeholder, which seems like the smarter thing to have. That way people won’t think they’re extra crazy.

-Scott

Just as a test, I created a new thread in “off topic”. I immediately deleted the new post, and the thread was removed with no trace. Obviously in your case, the OP deleted his post before you had a chance to add to the one-post thread. Since the thread no longer existed, it threw up the error you described.

Quod erat demonstrandum, methinks.

si-blog

Ah, interesting difference between deleting the first post in a thread and deleting a response post in a thread.

I wonder what happens when you delete a post after it’s been responded to?

More Dreamhost coupons

sdayman already demonstrated that for us above.

si-blog

I was trying to figure out whether the distinction was between the original post in a thread or just whether a post had been responded to. Having just created a thread over in offtopic as well, I’ve determined that it is the latter!

1. So after a post has a response, deleting it will leave a placeholder. If the post was the first in a thread, the title is changed to “blah blah blah DELETED”.
  2. If a post does not have a response when it is deleted, it disappears with no trace. If that post was the first post in a thread, the entire thread disappears with no trace.

More Dreamhost coupons