Error Installing Nagios Server on VPS

I’m trying to install a Nagios server on my VPS to monitor my home network and a couple of servers which need to be up and running. I found forum messages about running the Nagios client on a VPS but not an actual Nagios server.

I’m new to the Dreamhost VPS service but not a noob with Linux. I’m running into an error installing Nagios and below is the output of my apt-get process. I’m not clear what the issue is.

Has anyone installed a Nagios server on a VPS successfully? If so, any ideas on what is giving me these errors? Can this even be done on a VPS? FYI, I’m running the Dreamhost provided Apache web server.

[psXXXXX]$ sudo apt-get install nagios3
[sudo] password for XXXXXXXX:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
nagios-plugins nagios-plugins-basic nagios-plugins-standard nagios3-common
Recommended packages:
apache2 httpd
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nagios-plugins nagios-plugins-basic nagios-plugins-standard nagios3 nagios3-common
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/2683kB of archives.
After this operation, 7520kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
nagios-plugins-basic nagios3-common nagios3 nagios-plugins-standard nagios-plugins
Authentication warning overridden.
Preconfiguring packages …
Can’t exec “/tmp/nagios3-common.config.310051”: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl/5.10/IPC/Open3.pm line 168.
open2: exec of /tmp/nagios3-common.config.310051 configure failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 59
nagios3-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 255
(Reading database … 244216 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nagios-plugins-basic (from …/nagios-plugins-basic_1.4.12-5_amd64.deb) …
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nagios-plugins-basic_1.4.12-5_amd64.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/nagios-plugins.mo’, which is also in package ndn-netsaint-plugins
Selecting previously deselected package nagios3-common.
Unpacking nagios3-common (from …/nagios3-common_3.0.6-4~lenny2_all.deb) …
Selecting previously deselected package nagios3.
Unpacking nagios3 (from …/nagios3_3.0.6-4~lenny2_amd64.deb) …
Selecting previously deselected package nagios-plugins-standard.
Unpacking nagios-plugins-standard (from …/nagios-plugins-standard_1.4.12-5_amd64.deb) …
Selecting previously deselected package nagios-plugins.
Unpacking nagios-plugins (from …/nagios-plugins_1.4.12-5_all.deb) …
Processing triggers for man-db …
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/nagios-plugins-basic_1.4.12-5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[XXXXXXXX]$

DreamHost uses Nagios (nee. Netsaint) internally. You’ll need to uninstall some of our packages to do this — but please ask Support for help with this, as we’ll need to turn off our own checks on the machine.