Error establishing a database connection? What happened?

Error establishing a database connection Just got this error when trying to connect to my website. I might have chosen the modify DB option at some point. Wordpress is installed on my server and it set up an FTP and mysqldatabase. Where to I begin to look for the source of the problem?

Not much info here… Was your site working, fully set up and now is not?

Take a look at your WordPress config file, is it pointing to the database correctly? You would use FTP to get to that file.

To see what may be going on with your database, go into your DH panel. You can see the database name and current credentials there. You can access phpMyAdmin through the panel, too.

Was it just a temporary glitch, perhaps caused by traffic? Is it working now?

Try opening a ticket if everything looks right but is still not working.

Please don’t start multiple threads for the same issue. I replied in your other thread.

When I click on FTP I get to the index of the WP files but I can’t do anything with them. I am trying to open the wp-config file to see what the passwords are.
[hr]
Thanks. Sorry about the double posting. First time on a forum. I don’t know how to access my wp-config file. I see it in the index of files in my FTP but the I can’t copy the file or open it.
[hr]
When I click on phpMyAdmin it asks me for a username and password. I don’t have one for this. I have usernames and passwords for my database and ftp but I never had the opportunity to set them up for phpMyAdmin.
[hr]
And yes, the site was fully working and now it is not. I was working with themes in Wordpress. Then started looking around my dreamhost pages.
[hr]

Thanks. Sorry about the double posting. First time on a forum. I don’t know how to access my wp-config file. I see it in the index of files in my FTP but the I can’t copy the file or open it.

When I click on phpMyAdmin it asks me for a username and password. I don’t have one for this. I have usernames and passwords for my database and ftp but I never had the opportunity to set them up for phpMyAdmin.
And yes, the site was fully working and now it is not. I was working with themes in Wordpress. Then started looking around my dreamhost pages.
[hr]

When I click on FTP I get to the index of the WP files but I can’t do anything with them. I am trying to open the wp-config file to see what the passwords are.

phpMyAdmin is looking for your database user and password, which you do have. If you not experienced be careful not to change ANYTHING there.

I don’t know how you are accessing FTP. It sounds like you are clicking the FTP link in the panel, if that’s the case use WebFTP instead. The FTP option doesn’t work like you think it does. A better solution is to use an FTP client installed on your computer. there are many free: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/FTP#FTP_Client_Software

I have Filezilla but I was having trouble accessing my files through it. I just tried again and I can now see the files in my database. You are right I was clicking on the FTP option thinking I would be able to access my files. I get it now.
I got someone to check my wp-config file and that was the problem. She changed the password and I can now access my site.
Thank you, this forum is great!