Error creating user

I have exactly two users set up in my account. I’m trying to create a new user with the name “nick”, but it is refusing and complaining “* The username you picked is already being used”, which is not true: neither of my two existing users have that name.

[quote]
I have exactly two users set up in my account. I’m trying to create a new user with the name “nick”, but it is refusing and complaining “* The username you picked is already being used”, which is not true: neither of my two existing users have that name.[/quote]
I think that the username has to be unique across the whole DreamHost system - there’s bound to be another “nick” out there somewhere.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Yes and no. The username doesn’t have to be unique to the entire DH system, it just has to be unique to your shared server. But, there are bound to be plenty of nicks on your shared server.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

It seems another nick has nicked it before your nick!

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

LOL

MacManX.com

What?!? You’ve got to be kidding me! I’ve never come across that restriction with any other shared host I’ve ever been with.

Between:

(not to mention the immature newsletters), I have to say I’ve had enough of DreamHost and will be going back to my old host.

I’m sorry that you don’t apprechate the newsletters (and the rest of DH for that matter) but I was just thinking the other day that Dh should advertize the newsletter as a part of the services you get for signing up! :slight_smile:

-Matttail

To be fair, I did get a good chuckle out of the mention of “Make Microsoft a DreamHost Charity” in the April newsletter :).

Honestly, I have to agree with you, Matttail. I prefer DreamHost’s more social newletters to other hosting providers’ newletters, which are typically on the style of: “We used your money to purchase a larger vocabulary.”

MacManX.com