Error 500 on Movable Type

apps

I don’t know what i’m doing wrong but on my site with any of the CGI files that MovableType goes to comes up as an error 500.

neoian,

Unfortunately, hat error is so non-descriptive as to be virtually useless in helping to figure out the problem. You should be able to find more information in your error logs (~/logs/yourdomain.tld) to give you a clue as to what the problem is.

Most commonly, failure to set your .cgi/.pl files to “755” permissions, failure to upload those files in “ASCII” mode via ftp, and having the various files in the wrong place in the directory structure (for the application in question) are the “first suspects”.

If you have double-checked all those things, and they are correct but you are still having problems, post back here with the contents of your error logs and we might can be of more help. Good Luck!

–rlparker

I keep getting the following 2 errors:

[Wed Oct 04 16:04:28 2006] [error] [client 76.181.xxx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: mt-check.cgi, referer: http://nverted.org/

[Wed Oct 04 16:04:28 2006] [error] [client 76.181xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/neoian2/nverted.org/internal_error.html, referer: http://nverted.org/

This does it on any CGI file. I reuploaded it in ASCII only mode, and checked the permissions. Still the same problem.

Ok…the second error is the result of the first error. It also looks as though you have not yet installed MT, and are just trying to run the “check” program to determine the presence of required modules.

you indicated that the file mt-check.cgi is set to “755”, you should also make sure that the directory it is in (in this case /home/neoian2/nverted.org) is also set to 755.

I’m also assuming your shebang! line (first line in the script) is set correctly for DH location for perl, though as I don’t have the mt-check.cgi code in front of me I suppose it is possible that a bad shebang! could create the error, so double check that.

If all that is in order, the next lilkely possibility is that the file somehow got corrupted (sometimes happens with files extracted from “zips” on Wind*ze systems), and bad line endings or extra character have found their way into the file. It is also possible that your ftp client is mangling the file (cuteftp, as one example, sometimes does not process ASCII uploads properly)

Depending on what operating system you are using, select an appropriate “pure text” editor (no wordprocessor!) , ideally one that allows for you to save the file with *nix line endings. Check for extra lf’s at the end of the file; often these will cause such an error.

If you find any “blank space” at the end of the file, delete it leave the cursor after the last character in the file, and save.

Delete the file on your server first, and re-upload in ASCII mode (possibly trying a different ftp client). Set the file’s permissions to 755, clear your browser’s cache, and try to run the file.

Those are the only suggestions I can give at this point - if they don’t work, write back and I’ll try to run a test install for you.

–rlparker