Enviorment Setup

Hello again!

When doing a Enviorment Setup as shown in http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Environment_Setup I’m a bit confused when reading the wiki. In the bottom theres about how to avoid Directory Clutter, I really want to avoid this so I created a new directory in my home folder called “packages” and then wrote:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/packages/lib/
export PATH="$HOME/packages/bin:$PATH"

What should I do know, the text before is a little bit confusing. Should I first do:

vi ~/.bashrc
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

Should I change that to: ~/packages/bin:$PATH? But I’ve allready done this before after creating the packages directory?

Then it says “If you use the .bash_profile” do this:

vi ~/.profile

Then add to file:

. .bashrc

And then in terminal write:

. .bashrc

Whats with the two dots? I’ve not seen this before.

So, In what order should I do everything and how should I change the paths if I do the directory clutter things?

Thanks in advance!

Martin Lundberg
Student, Sweden

Hello ardco!

Thanks for he answer and clearing things up but it doesn’t really help me. Because of this I’ve decided to start a new thread in this forum about how to install Trac.

Martin Lundberg
Student, Sweden

Ok then I’ll ask here again =) In what order should I do what it says in the Enviorment Setup page in the wiki?

I want to install packages in the “packages” directory of my home folder.

Thanks in advance!

Martin Lundberg
Student, Sweden

Hello again,

I tried it now without knowing exactly what to do but when I edit the .bashrc file to add:

export PATH=~/packages/bin:$PATH

I get this error when trying to save the file:

“.bashrc” E667: Fsync failed
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I know also saw that alot of backup files has been created: .bashrc~ .bashrx~ .bashry~ .bashrz~.

I’ve got no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance

Martin Lundberg
Student, Sweden