EMERGENY! Need to restore site!

I had a problem with my forum last night. I need to restore the site to before it lost some members and all their posts.

I found this in my admin panel- Restore DB

When I looked at it, it asks Restore Which Backup and has a dropdown menu where I can choose a time. If I choose a time before the problems last night, will my forum go back to where it was before I lost the members and restore everything?

It also has the following options… if I need to use this method, which one do I choose:

My restored tables should be named tablename__TIMESTAMP and the tables there now should be untouched.

My restored tables should be named TIMESTAMP__tablename and the tables there now should be untouched.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be renamed tablename__20080802_093049.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be renamed 20080802_093049__tablename.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be overwritten by the backups!

I’d go for this:
My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be renamed tablename__20080802_093049.

This will restore your database to its good state before the disaster, and keep the current messed up one as a backup. If you really don’t want to keep the current messed up data, pick:
My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be overwritten by the backups!

Other than data, are your templates and other files still ok? Do you know the cause of the data loss?

-Scott

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Yes… I have SMF forums… I was trying to add another membergroup for moderators. The changes would not take hold for anything, so I decided to delete the Membergroup and start all over. There’s a button that says something to the effect of “Remove checked members from membergroup.”

It removed them all right… completely off the site!!! And those were some of my oldest members with thousands of posts!!!

I checked the SMF forums and it looks like I’m not the first victim of that debacle! :frowning:

I was in a panic… I hit that maintenance area and save my backup every night, but I’ve never had to use it and had no idea what to do. I’ve been trying to traipse through the SMF forums and their convoluted explanations.

It was just sheer luck that I finally clicked that Restore DB button in my DH admin area! I was terrified to try it though. Thanks.

I thought this may give you a chuckle now that you have had an opportunity to de-stress from your experience.

I really hate this darn machine,
And wish that they would sell it.
It never does quite what I want,
But only what I tell it.

Glad you got it worked out. I’ve entered a wrong command “a few times” in my career.

Regards.
Rudy