Emails sent to "abuse@mydomain.tld" don't arrive!

Hi all,

I’m trying to sort out all my domains/email, and I wanted to make sure the abuse and postmaster emails all get directed to a single account.

Anyway, I’m sending test emails to “abuse@…” addresses, but they don’t seem to arrive. The only thing I can think is that perhaps “abuse” email is diverted to the dreamhost admins?

TIA,

Peter.

I’m now wondering if email forwarding works at all!

All my domains have multiple email addresses (abuse, postmaster, webmaster etc) forwarded to one (DreamHost hosted) mailbox and emails sent to them work fine. In-fact, I just sent an email to one of my abuse addresses and it arrived fine.

Are you forwarding to a DreamHost hosted mailbox, or an external address?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I’m (currently) forwarding to an external address.

I’ve just posted another comment where I’ve got an error back from the DH mail server, which does seem to indicate that I’ve not set things up right! I’m investigating now…

Ok, when I send a test email via the web interface of gmail, I get a reply from the DH mail server:

"
This is the Postfix program at host spunkymail-mx1.dreamhost.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

whatever@example.com (expanded from abuse@mydomain.tld):
User unknown in virtual alias table

Final-Recipient: rfc822; whatever@example.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822; abuse@mydomain.tld
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; User unknown in virtual alias table
"

so it looks like I’m doing something wrong with the forwarding… is this a common mistake?

Someone else reported this error recently, and it turned out that the new email address had not yet become fully functional within the DreamHost system, within a few hours the address began working. How long ago did you set up this forwarding address?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

All of these addresses (both the dreamhost & external address) were setup months ago.

FWIW the external address does work properly. I have send email directly to this address and it arrives as expected.

(/me removes foot from my own mouth)

The “final destination” domain is currently external. However I will be moving it to dreamhost in the next week or so, and as such, I’d created the domain in the DH control panel already… but clearly, that was a bad idea because now the DH mail servers are trying to route email to the DH hosted account rather than the external one.

Anyway… thanks absolutely loads for all your help!! :smiley:

:slight_smile: I think we’ve all made similar mistakes in our time, it’s good that you were able to work out what was happening without wasting too much of your time.

Good luck.

Mark