Email

How come I can’t create my own username when I create an e-mail?

I type in the name I want the address and mailbox, but it always gives me some weird system generated crap. Whats the deal?

it’s how they keep track of all the email accounts…

when you log in through webmail (webmail.yoursite.com) your login name will be the actual email name (you@site.com username would be you) you only need to use the mailbox number when using POP or IMAP access (outlook, etc…)

THAT’S A BUNCH OF CRAP!! THEY DO IT THAT WAY BECUASE THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO CREATE YOU OWN MAILBOX NAME!! I WAS TOLD THAT YOU FIRST HAVE TO CREATE A USER AND LINK THE E-MAIL TO THAT USER IF YOU DON’T WANT SOME BS NAME FOR YOUR MAILBOX!!

THIS IS CRAP AND A TOTAL BS HAND JOB TO MAKE YOU USE THERE STUPID NAMES FOR YOUR MAILBOX!

So, are you trying to say that you don’t like the current setup? You really weren’t clear on whether it bothered you or not, so I figured I’d ask.

Know what I love about Dreamhost? Whenever I want to make a new email address, I don’t have to remember something dumb like myName@myDomain.com, since they create an easy-to-remember name for me like mb3920390239039303. Much easier.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

[quote]So, are you trying to say that you don’t like the current setup? You really weren’t clear on whether it bothered you or not, so I figured I’d ask.

Know what I love about Dreamhost? Whenever I want to make a new email address, I don’t have to remember something dumb like myName@myDomain.com, since they create an easy-to-remember name for me like mb3920390239039303. Much easier.[/quote]

ROFL!

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog

Wow, I kept saying to some of the people that have email addresses set up on on domain when I switched servers that “it couldn’t be that dumb” and “I’m sure there’s something I have to set”.

You’re honestly telling me that my users have to have this impossible-to-remember username just to set up their email clients? We get our computers formatted on a regular basis, there’s honestly no way to just SET the email address USER NAME to something MUCH simpler?!

Yes, that is the situation right now. To set up an E-mail client you must have that long hard to remember number. This is not the case however for webmail. If you’re formatting on a regular basis, for whatever reason, why not just E-mail each user setup instructions for their E-mail address, including the log in name, then store it in a seperate folder in webmail. That way it should be there when you need it.

There is a sigguestion in the panel to change this. And as I have heard from DH honchos this is the most voted for sigguestion. It’s supposedly been on the top of their list for quite some time. They even thought that for sure with the upgrades that came with Debian Sarge they would get it changed around - but that didn’t happen for some reason.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

if you really do formatting on a regular basis then you should first wonder about your os, about the legality of the business your doing, or about your general computer knowledge. no offence bud, j/k :wink:

in general it is a good idea to print such details like m894746348 out. even if one is not formatting on a regular basis.

but to get to the point: sure it would be easier for users to use personal@email.name.com (which is unique as well)
instead of m987987349,
and i dont know why this is not so,
but heck, is it really such a biggie?

but i do understand you to a level :wink:

Uh huh.

Well, thanks for your… um, input.

Thank you very much for answering my questions :slight_smile:
That is strange why it wouldn’t change considering what you’ve said. That’s a shame for now though :frowning: