Email Woes

Yesterday was the first day (been with DH for 2 months) ive had email issues with dreamhost. Now they seem to be multiplying.

Webmail gets this error:
Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Can’t create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/ndn/web/squirrelmail-1.4.2/session_mysql.php on line 61

Can’t connect to 10.3.67.49 as squirrelmail

MySQL Error: Can’t create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

I don’t usualy use webmail, except my POP3 client is suddenly unable to retrieve email and I’m trying to diagnose why. (It Connects, sees 2 new messages, then refuses to get them… over and over and over). If I delete the bad email (when I can get webmail to work), my pop client cruises along without a problem.

I’ve created a trouble ticket, anyone else having these problems? had them in the past?

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting

[quote]I’ve created a trouble ticket, anyone else having these problems?

[/quote]

I’ve had a wide variety of errors from DH webmail. If you can possibly avoid it, do. For debugging your POP3 box you should find e.g. www.mail2web.com much better.

For debugging your POP3 box you should find e.g. www.mail2web.com much better.

Only if you don’t mind giving your login/password to an untrusted third party. Not to mention a known-good e-mail address (think spam list).

The best way to debug POP3 problems is to connect via telnet and issue POP3 commands yourself.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

[quote]Only if you don’t mind giving your login/password to an untrusted third party.

[/quote]

Only if you consider www.mail2web untrusted…

[quote]Not to mention a known-good e-mail address (think spam list).

[/quote]

I do so wish I could mail2web-login to a DH mailbox with a “known-good e-mail address”, but while we’re stuck with DHs manky m9128237-form logins, rarely is this possible.

[quote]The best way to debug POP3 problems is to connect via telnet and issue POP3 commands yourself.

[/quote]

Only if efficiency is of no concern.

When I first migrated to DH one of my forums utilises a perl pop mail to phpbb posting script and I had no end of troubles getting this to work (which I did eventually)

I found the m* mailboxes problematic and downright unreliable when it came to extracting mail via perl scripts but the “user” mailboxes work fine. Thus if you are utilising a m* mailbox get rid of it and instead create a user and utilise that mailbox, it seems to be the best way to go.

Only if you consider www.mail2web untrusted…

When it comes to passwords, the only trusted party I know is myself. Your security-consciousness may vary.

I forgot about the username format for some mailboxes, and I’m unfamiliar with what information they might require for an account anyway. The last time I heard about this type of service, I was still working for Earthlink, where, given a username and our domain name, it was obvious what someone’s e-mail address was.

Only if efficiency is of no concern.

I bet I can check mail via telnet faster than you can load and log into a webmail service.

The benefit of debugging problems by talking directly to the server is that you see what the exact server response is, you don’t get the mangled or “friendly” error messages that some mail clients return upon encountering an error.

[quote]I bet I can check mail via telnet faster than you can load and log into a webmail service.

[/quote]

I doubt you’ll find the OP has that choice of operators!

[quote]The benefit of debugging problems by talking directly to the server is that you see what the exact
server response is,

[/quote]

That benefit is not confined to talking direct. Mailmaint (http://www.magsys.co.uk/mailmaint/) is a lightweight POP3 client that offers it, and is very useful for debugging mailboxes.

[quote]you don’t get the mangled or “friendly” error messages that some mail clients
return upon encountering an error.

[/quote]

I agree it is a shame www.mail2web.com doesn’t show the server responses. If anyuone knows a web-based client that does, I’d be interested to know.

Another advantage to a user mailbox is one can see the current storage usage (using shell “quota”) - there’s no way to do this for the m####### mailboxes TMK.

True, but you can see mailbox disk usage in the Panel under Mail->Addresses.

Not the current usage, which is what matters when the mail server starts discarding or bouncing your mail because you are over quota.

Well, that’s easy. Don’t go over quota!

Just kidding. When an account is over quota, does the web panel just show the quota amount rather than the actual disk space used? Good to know, thanks.

[quote]Well, that’s easy. Don’t go over quota!

[/quote]

I’ll pass that on to the next mailbomber to visit! :wink:

[quote]When an account is over quota, does the web
panel just show the quota amount rather than
the actual disk space used?

[/quote]

Whether or not the account is over, the web panel shows the quota (which is variously calls Quota, Max or Limit). The web panel doesn’t indicate current over-quota-ness at all.

It indicates the over-quotaness as of the time of its last once-per-day check. I recall Josh of DH saying it would be too costly to show the current figure. And I think that the shell “quota” doesn’t tell the whole story either.