Email via PHP (Gallery)

apps

Has anyone else had problems just getting PHP email to work???

As an example, I’ve just installed Gallery and did most of my basic setup and customization and then noticed that emailing wasn’t working. I configured my SMTP credentials and of course it works, but that should not be needed…PHP email should just work (as it has on other hosts I’ve used in the past).

I’m very concerned about that (and the email cap per hour) becuase I have plans to bring over two additional domains, one of which is cented on Word Press (and thus lots of email notifications) and the other being a vBulletin forum (and of lots of email notifications for thread updates, PMs, newsletters form admin, etc.).

I didn’t find anything in the WIKI and so far no definite answer from support, so what have you run into and how did you get past it?

Thanks,
Will

Just as a followup…I just installed the most recent version of Word Press. It is set up to email BY DEFAULT on new comments and still nothing.

Is email via PHP just not possible on DH???

Thanks,
Will

It appears to be a relay issue, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why…never had this problem with these same apps elsewhere. I removed the domain out of the address to keep the email addy from being crawled. midsouthphotos.com

Any insights anyone can offer??

Thanks,
Will

Example NDR:

This is the Postfix program at host munchies.dreamhost.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<will@{}.com>: host smarty.dreamhost.com[66.33.216.24]
said: 554
<will@{}.com>: Relay access denied (in reply to RCPT
TO
command)

Example headers (from the above NDR):

Reporting-MTA: dns; munchies.dreamhost.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: F0C0235170
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; {someuser}@munchies.dreamhost.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 05:18:30 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; will@{}.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host smarty.dreamhost.com[66.33.216.24]
said: 554
<will@{}.com>: Relay access denied (in reply to RCPT
TO
command)

I’m also having the same problem with PHP scripts. The weird thing is it takes quite a while for the daemon errors to show up in my mailbox. Yesterday I wasn’t able to send mail via the PHP mail() command to anyone, for some reason today I can send mail to some domains and not others. For instance, if I send mail to email addresses at regular ISP’s, it’ll show up instantly, no problems at all. But if I try to use my gmail account, I never get the email. It’s a really weird problem, and I’m not sure if they changed something today or what, because yesterday I couldn’t send mail to anyone at all except addresses that were in my domain.

Okay, my gmail email account finally got the test message I sent about 2 hours ago. That was very strange. My ISP is getting them instantly.

I wasn’t getting anything, all were ending up as NDRs.

But…now DH has done something I suppose (I didn’t make any changes to the scripts, the code has worked as is many times before) and mail is flowing instantly like it should. I don’t know what DH did to help fix it, but I’d sure like to find out so I’ll know going forward that all I need to ask them for is that fix.

So…perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel.

I got an email back from tech support this morning, they said that one of their email servers is backed up and is the reason why some email addresses aren’t getting the mail for a very long time. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.