Email troubleshooting (Long post)

Good morning all.

I’m using this to vent. I’ve already emailed support, but something is still wrong; just don’t know what. I’m going to describe the problem here; how I’d expect it to work; and what its doing. Then I’m going to clear my mind and take wedding pics.

I have multiple domains. When I bought my last domain, I forwarded all email *@newdomainname.com to email@olddomain.com. Works great. But now I want to get it working right.

When I’d be “on the road” I’d login to Squirrelmail the only way I could get it to work. jimspics@newdomainname.com
It’d show all my email in one big bucket.
When I’d send email from Outlook Express it’d show jim@newdomainname.com (the email address I want people to use); which confused the people I emailed. Depending on where I’d send it from it’d show 2 email address; oh, which to use. Of course, under blind alias I’d still get it no matter what they typed. Just confusing to users.

Here’s what I thought I’d need to do to fix it. Under mail, created a physical mailbox. m1111111 lets call it. I set up an alias that said jim@newdomainname.com goes to m1111111. When I couldn’t gain access to that mailbox via squirrelmail, I got concerned that I’d lose mail. So I added that email also went to email@olddomain.com. Works fine. Just puts it in the big bucket like always.

When I still couldn’t access my new mailbox with squirrelmail after it showed active, I emailed support.

The reply said its fine; you can use the unmemorable m111111 or the alias to check my mail. I replied back that m111111 failed invalid username/password. And that an alias login failed also. (How would it know an alias password anyway, I asked?) I could use m1111111 with my original password when I signed up with my original username; it wasn’t using the password that I said I wanted m1111111 to use. But even then, every email would show instead of m1111111’s only.

No reply since from support, but I noticed that when I sent email to myself from squirrelmail this morning, it said my reply address was m1111111@newdomain.com; ugh. But I found the option that let me set a reply address in squirrelmail. So that fixed my first problem and would have been all I needed to do to fix the situation in the first place.

But, it does not keep my email separate. I want username1@newdomain.com to go to physical pop box 1.
username2@newdomain.com to go to physical pop box 2.
username3@newdomain.com to go to physical pop box 3.
etc.
so I’m not having to wade through hundreds of emails in a generic box. And when I log in to pop box 3 via squirrelmail, thats what I want to see and only what I want to see. (Of course I haven’t set up physical pop box 2 or 3, etc yet; need to get 1 working first.)

This is precisely how I’ve set it up before at an ISP where I worked and I’m confused how it could work any other way.

Thanks.

Jim