Email Setup

At my old hosts I could just set a catch-all for my domain and forward it straight to my external email, but it looks like it’s a two step process here. What I’ve done is this:

1. catcher@mydomain.com forwards to myaddress@gmail.com
  2. catch-all@mydomain.com forwards to catcher@mydomain.com

However, I continually get email bounced back to me with this error:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <catcher@mydomain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied (state 14).

Can anyone tell me what I’ve done wrong? I’m not trying to get gmail for my domain, I just want all of my mail forwarded to my current gmail account. Is there some setting I need to change?

I have a shared-server account that I share with a friend who made me a user, but I do have access to everything but the account page in my panel.

Thanks.

If I understand the problem you have a ‘catch-all@domain.com’ hosted with Dreamhost and you are trying to forward the emails to another address.

That is against DH policy - check http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Webmail

Regards

From the only section that mentions a catch-all email:

“The workaround for this is to create a catch-all@ alias forwarded to (say) sendit@ and then use sendit@ to forward outside DreamHost - but if you do end up being a spambot, expect your account to be suspended or something.”

How do I do that? That was what I was trying to setup.

However remember that wiki’s contain user contributed edits. In this case it looks like someone figured out a work around and edited the page. Just because they posted a work around there to get past dreamhosts policy doesn’t mean that the workaround fits within dreamhosts policy. The clue that the line is user contributed is the last two words, Do you think dreamhost would actually say “or something”?

I’m not trying to argue with you about Dream Host policy, but if it is their policy it shouldn’t be posted on a wiki that is editable by the general public, right?

Here is the acceptable use policy, no mention of email:
http://dhwordpress.dreamhost.com/acceptable-use-policy/

User editable wiki’s have great value. What it appears that dreamhost specifically lacks is a lead wiki editor or wiki moderator on the staff that reviews user contributed content on a daily basis. (It’s very easy to track who edited what/when with mediawiki and this task could be assigned to someone for daily reviews.)

To specifically address where dreamhost tells you that it’s not allowed (in at least one very official place) is on the page in the panel where you create new forward only emails. Note the words: “(Note: “catch-all” may only forward to DreamHost-hosted email addresses)” They also prevent you from creating it directly.