Yes, that was what I was pointing out. I just find that it is more convenient all around.
Oh no, I didn't at all meant to imply or infer that you were dumb at all! And I do see your point about wanting access to your mail when you are away from your installed Thunderbird (or other email client).
I was trying to point out that there are other approaches for those situations that still let you avoid a "webmail" interface if you want to (which is what I do, because I really don't like webmail that much). I mean, when "stuck" with the occasional need to use webmail, the squirrel works "well enough" for me not to worry about installing something else, but I really very rarely use it.
Instead, I use the following approach:
1) When I am using my own laptop, I just install Thunderbird on it and set it up the same as on my "main" machine, with the exception that I leave all the messages on the server (I use pop3).
That way, I can always access my mail from anywhere I can get online, but the mail is always available on my DH mail server to be "popped" (and archived) when I get back to my "base" machine (which always removes mail from the server, unless I have set it to do otherwise, like in the case of an extended trip, or something).
I use the same procedure when checking my email using my Palm Tx and VersaMail (that miserable thing!)
The result is that all my mail is archived on my "base", and mail I get "in the field" has a copy on my laptop, or Palm, or whatever (unless I choose to delete it from that machine).
2) If I find myself using some machine I do not own (like a client's machine, a library workstation, Internet cafe, etc), and do not have access to a properly configured email client like Thunderbird, then I connect to DreamHost with SSH and use either pine or mutt from the command line to "grab" whatever I need, again leaving the mail on the server for future "popping" to my base machine like in the first instance above.
For me, that covers 99% of my remote email needs - for the remaining 1%, I just put up with the squirrel, as it is not that often, and it "does the job" well (if not very "stylishly")
There is even another approach I have used on occasion when I was using someone else's machine, if I have access to a USB port. Then, I can just carry a "thumbdrive" (or other USB drive) with a "portable" email client on it (there are several that can be setup this way, including Thunderbird) and then just plug that into a USB port, use it to grab my mail like in the first scenario above (which stores a copy of the email on the thumbdrive, and leaves it on the server for "future" use/retrieval).
Does that make any more sense?