Email Questions before I seal the deal with DH :)

Greetings :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in Dreamhost over my current provider [pwwb] :wink: … mostly because how email storage is tied into your available domain storage (instead of an artificial cap on space) and WebDAV support!!!

I have a few questions about how email is handled, before I seal the deal :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Is there a limit on how many messages you have in your email (inbox/sent/trash/etc)? or will DH let you have as much email as you’d like as long as you’re not over your domain disk quota?

2. Is there a “catch all” email account? Can you create one?

3. If you are managing multiple domains under the same package, will the non-primary domains be able to have its’ own email addresses? i.e. example@domain2.com

4. If the non-primary domains ARE able to have their own email accounts, can they also have their OWN “catch all” email account also?

5. What happens if there’s a info@domain1.com email account, AND an info@domain2.com account …? Can DH separate the two if you’re managing the two domains under the same package?

6. Has anyone tried using SSL w/IMAP on OS X’s mail.app? Does it work?

thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:

You can set disk quotas on each mailbox (up to the maximum storage your plan allows). You can also configure each in-box to remove read messages when the message count reaches a user configured level. These removed messages can be archived.

Yes. You can configure a ‘catch-all’ address for each domain (or sub-domain).

Yes. Each domain (or sub-domain) hosted under your account can have as many email addresses as you like. These can either be forwarded to an existing mailbox, or attached to their own mailbox. Each plan type has a limit on the actual number of mailboxes you can create, but this limit is very generous (currently 3000 mailboxes on the Level 1 plan).

Yes. As explained above, all domains (or sub-domains) can have their own ‘catch-all’ address.

Yes, this is not a problem. Overall, the DreamHost mail system is very versatile in this respect.

Sorry, I do not use OS X, so I can not answer this question, but I can tell you that SSL/IMAP works fine with Outlook 2003 under WinXP.

No problem, glad to help out where I can.

Overall, you will find the DreamHost way of doing things a little different to what you are probably used to, but having said that, the system is very versatile and can be configured to do just about anything you might require.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

When the messages are archived, where exactly do they get archived since they are removed from the maildir folder? or ARE they removed from the maildir folder? Will it count against your disk quota at this point?

Not sure how the archive would work :slight_smile:

thanks for all the responses!!!

Do you happen to have any opinions about the jabber support, webDAV or MySQL? :slight_smile:

No, they are still within the maildir, they just get moved from the inbox to ‘old-messages’, or you can configure them to be moved to another folder.

[quote]Will it count against your disk quota at this point?
[/quote]
Yes, it will still be counted as part of your overall usage.

It is simply a method to keep your inboxes tidy, you will still need to manually trim (and/or archive) your mailboxes occasionally, to keep things under control.

I can’t comment on Jabber or WebDAV, as I do not use them.

However, the MySQL setup here on DreamHost is a little different to most hosts, in that the databases are not on the same machine as your other website files. This can result in a little more latency on DB requests, but I haven’t found it to be a problem for my sites.

DreamHost has a Wiki which contains a lot of information about how things work here, it might be worth having a look around there.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

^ have those tweaks been implemented?

I really like how you essentially have unlimited [well, up to your quota] email storage and it’s using maildir. Much better than artificial email caps.

How about backups? In terms of the whole domain? Does DH keep multiple-day(s) backup of your files in case you accidently delete something? etc.?

thanks again :slight_smile:

I think so, but I haven’t created a new DB in a while, so I can’t say for sure. :slight_smile:

Yes, the entire contents of your account (including the maildir and log directories) is backed up hourly/daily/weekly.

To access the backups you simply SSH to your account and CD to the hidden .snapshot directory, within this directory you’ll find the backups. More information on this can be found in this Wiki article.

Mark

Just to add to my previous post; DreamHost also keep backups of your MySQL databases. You can roll-back a database to a previous backup from within the admin panel.

Mark

Thanks for all the help Raz :slight_smile: I think I’m going to sign up :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think you’ll regret it.

DreamHost isn’t perfect, far from it, but in my opinion they come closer than any other host I’ve tried.

Good luck.

Mark