Email problems

i have a website i created for someone and i created a contact form and the emails are not coming today…they come in tomorrow or just take too long.
and that is not good because he plans on holding an even where he needs to get feedback right away.

why is the mail going slow and how can I fix it now and fast!

“You want it there tomorrow? Send it yesterday!” [UPS announcing their new cheap two-day service]

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Most of the time I get server generated email pretty much on time. There is no doubt however that from time to time the dreamhost mail queues do get backed up.

The only two solutions are
-find a more reliable external SMTP server that will allow you to send mail and reconfiguring your contact form accordingly.
-bypass using email (or add a backkup).

The second option is probably the quick fix. Replacing or right after the mail() statement in your contact form just open a file on the server in append mode and write the same information as was contained in the email. Have the path to that file be somewhere in it’s own folder so that you can add an .htaccess file to secure it (setting it up so the client can “log in” via credentials or the clients IP address is recognized. The caveat is that you have to figure out how to keep the file from getting really really big-- one option might be to use date based filenames, giving a new file for each day (or month). Then you could write a few lines of PHP that made a nice pretty looking front door index.php to those files, and just give the client the URL to the .htaccess controlled folder.

Also a word of caution about your contact form: If the “From” address of the email is a field from your form, this is going to cause you to LOSE emails. see: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/04/04/improvements-to-outgoing-spam-prevention-policy/

Other threads that you should read:

i have dream host configured with gmail
and im a bit confused with how to go about opening a file. you mean creating one on the server and having it append the messages?
my client wants them to reach his email.

and yes of course i have a from field

basically my client will kill me in a few days when he holds his huge meeting and no one can get through to him.
this was suppose to be simple and fast.[hr]
here is a header that can perhaps give some help

Delivered-To: someone@special.com
Received: by 10.112.12.37 with SMTP id v5csp77084lbb;
Tue, 22 May 2012 12:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.68.204.2 with SMTP id ku2mr1688167pbc.55.1337714054505;
Tue, 22 May 2012 12:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: shamguy4@wasat.dreamhost.com
Received: from smarty.dreamhost.com (smarty.dreamhost.com. [202.413.175.8])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id hq10si16605769pbc.30.2012.05.22.12.14.13;
Tue, 22 May 2012 12:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of shamguy4@wasat.dreamhost.com designates 202.413.175.8 as permitted sender) client-ip=202.413.175.8;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of shamguy4@wasat.dreamhost.com designates 202.413.175.8 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=shamguy4@wasat.dreamhost.com
Received: from wasat.dreamhost.com (wasat.dreamhost.com [202.413.227.19])
by smarty.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2412D4DFAD
for shamguy4@somewhere.com; Tue, 22 May 2012 02:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by wasat.dreamhost.com (Postfix, from userid 12744196)
id 37E45367462; Mon, 21 May 2012 20:40:54 -0700 (PDT)

see the huge jump from monday 21 to tues 22?

why and what can i do!?

For outbound server mail it makes no difference that you have the domain configured for gmail. Two different animals here.

As far as the from feild goes you didn’t read any of the links I looked up for you I guess.

As far as the other question you asked, there is a code sample in one of the threads I gave you to read also.

Do your homework , then ask more questions if you have any.

Bottom line: I acknowledged and confirmed your complaint in my first line… yes, dreamhost mail queue’s do get backed up from time to time, and Yes it is a problem. There is nothing you can do to fix it, other than what I mentioned, reconfigure your shell user to use some other SMTP server (there are so many issues, pro’s, and cons with that one that I actually wouldn’t attempt it). On the other hand you can bypass email and deliver the results to your customer in some other more reliable form.