Email problem

Has incoming email stopped for anyone else?
None of my domains seem to be receiving email from outside of dreamhost at the moment. Has been this way for a few hours.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m happily receiving mail.

TorbenGB

Yes mine has been down for HOURS! on ALL DOMAINS… Can’t get incoming email…

Glad it’s not just me! :slight_smile:

Hope DH get this sorted out soon. My support request has been in the queue for 6 hours now with no answer…

Incidentally, has anyone ever seen the Live Chat Support actually be available? DH seem to have an almost paranoid aversion to actually talk to anyone in real-time (hence the lack of published phone numbers)…

I must have had good luck last time I had a problem they called me back at home with in an hour… I doubt anyone is in their office this late so I guess all the email will just back up until they get to us. :confused:

I am in Europe, not in the US, so that may explain why I’ve never seen the live chat turned on. With regard to not publishing phone numbers, I can imagine some valid reasons. Mail support incidents are easier to log and track - and therefore easier to deal with in a timely manner - and they can be dealt with in sequence or in priority, and according to the current staffing. With phone support, calls might come in waves and they’d have no way of staffing adequately. In terms of total time spent per support incident, it may even be quickest to work by e-mail rather than risking lengthy calls (even though many of us would appreciate that level of attention).

I’m fairly satisfied with the support level. With such things you can always wish for more, but in general I’ve received adequate support within reasonable timeframes. This isn’t exactly brilliant service, but it’s not poor either.

TorbenGB

I’ve noticed the status of the mail service on some fo my domains to be stuck at “changed”. I’m still getting mail though.

Well I’ve had email problems for over 24 hours now–haven’t been able to get one single email on my Dreamhost account. My request to the support guys is now 15 hours old…and I’ve gotten not one single reply.

This is the ONE AND ONLY problem I have with Dreamhost…their support. I would pay extra just have a toll-free phone number to call for help.

I’ve had intermittent problems with my Dreamhost email (all domains) for a few months now. It seems like at least 1 or 2 days a week I will have email slowdowns that last anywhere from 15 minutes to 12 hours.

Very frustrating!

problems yes, some people say they can’t mail me, associates on DH are experiencing severe delays.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

You know, you would think that the least they would do is put up an announcement on the page mentioning the email problems…at least it would be something! I just checked my Outlook mail and I now have over 40 emails that are in limbo that I can’t get-Grrrrrrrrr!!!

according to a support response to an associate’s inquiry:

[color=#00CC00]
A spammer initiated a huge attack on the cluster of mail servers that hosts at least one of your domains’ mail. We’ve blocked the spammer and are clearing out the tens of thousands of messages left by the attack. It’s made mail slow on this group of machines, and has exacerbated the high load due to MyDoom, the latest Windows virus. All mail will be delivered, just slowly. We’re working to ensure that a similar attack won’t slow mail down so badly in the future.
[/color]

live and learn right? That’s the nice thing about DH, they usually fix things properly as opposed to the band aid method. No consolation as you wait for your 40 mails but there you go

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

In at least some cases, this is due to an issue which is currently being resolved; I’m sending out an announcement to affected users right now. Nothing has been broken, however there were some severe delays on one of our “clusters” of machines (this would only affect users serviced by this group of machines). This particular problem didn’t trigger any of our usual warnings, because mail has been operational the whole time (just really slow).

Due to the recent MyDoom virus outbreak, there may be additional “general” delays; other than doing our best to block them, there’s not a lot that we can do about that. We have increased the number of available smtp processes on our mail machines to accomodate the additional load, but other than that, there’s not much that we can do.

I can’t believe after an entire night and day my email is still down…I talked to someone they dont know when it will be back up. They are working on it… This is nothing short of a nightmare I’m sure for dreamhost and for the rest of us not getting emails. I went to read email on the web lol and I can’t even delete email it wont delete. I give up…

My email is working, it’s just taking about 6 hours for mail to arrive.

The problem is probably a big one. I have a support job in at the moment concerning a very minor bug with a subdomin. I have been sent an emai saying that it will be fixed, but at the moment they have bigger issues to deal with. Its good to see this prioritising. I just hope whatever the big issue it, it can be fixed soon.

Just got this from Dreamhost (I have announcments cc’ed to my work account)

A spammer initiated a massive attack on a domain serviced by the "cluster"
of mail servers that hosts at least one of your domains’ mail. We’ve
blocked the spammer and are clearing out the tens of thousands of messages
left by the attack. It’s made mail slow on this group of machines, and has
exacerbated the high load our mail servers are already experiencing due to
MyDoom, the latest Windows virus. All mail will be delivered, just slowly.
We’re working to ensure that a similar attack won’t slow mail down so
badly in the future.

I am in Australia. Whenever I log into my control panel, I check - just out of curiosity - and see if the support chat service is available. And yep, about seven out of ten times the online sign is up.
Some weeks ago I got to try out the service when I was having trouble connecting to one of my databases. I managed to catch our friendly and helpful forum admin, Jeff. Though my problem could not be resolved right away, thanks to Jeff’s efforts, I was able to connect to my database again within some hours.
(thanks, Jeff!)
–Marsbar

Hi Marsbar -

[quote](thanks, Jeff!)

[/quote]

You’re welcome! :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

its almost 11pm still can’t get emails… And even the web based email program is screwed up it won’t even let me delete msgs…

I have 3 domains here, and I am receiving email from 2 out of the 3. I get a timed-out error on the one acct.
The system status shows that it is fine :frowning:

“Try to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.”