Email Notices not working / Interface Confusion

Josh, et. al…

I seem to have indicated that I want to get announcements via email, but they’re not coming. All of the text under “Email You?” says “Yes”.

Is this an interface problem, or a bug in the new feature itself?

Pardon me whilst I put on my Anal Retentive UI Designer’s hat.

The interface for selecting whether to receive announcements via email is unclear…

[code]-----------------
Level Email You? Type of Announcement
5 No Major Downtime/Urgent Action Required
4 No Unplanned Downtime/Major Policy Change
3 No Planned Downtime/Minor Policy Change
2 No New Features/Upgrades/Improvements
1 No Misc (DHSOTM, Fun, Informational,…)

[/code]IMO, a “toggle” interface here probably isn’t the best idea.

The question the interface asks is “Email you?” but if I want to say “Yes” I have to click “No”, and that’s a bit anti-intuitive. To be clear, the response should match the question.

The problem is that you’re using the link text to try and serve as both a status indicator and a response link, but the two aren’t in agreement.

I thought about suggesting this:

[code]-----------------
Level Email You? Type of Announcement
5 [o] Yes / [ ] No Major Downtime/Urgent Action Required
4 [o] Yes / [ ] No Unplanned Downtime/Major Policy Change
3 [o] Yes / [ ] No Planned Downtime/Minor Policy Change
2 [ ] Yes / [o] No New Features/Upgrades/Improvements
1 [ ] Yes / [o] No Misc (DHSOTM, Fun, Informational,…)

[/code]…using radio buttons. But it’s still unclear; it looks as though the user might be able to separately choose discontiguous levels.

Then this came to mind… Just eliminate the “Yes / No” and the twin radio buttons, and substitute a single radio button for each level:

[code]-----------------
Level Email Type of Announcement
5 [o] Major Downtime/Urgent Action Required
4 [o] Unplanned Downtime/Major Policy Change
3 [o] Planned Downtime/Minor Policy Change
2 [ ] New Features/Upgrades/Improvements
1 [ ] Misc (DHSOTM, Fun, Informational,…)

•   [ ]      No announcements via email

[/code]That way, you get a kind of “LED meter” or “reverse thermometer” effect that’s easy to scan. I’ve also added a separate “No announcements” button to make it clear when none will be sent, which isn’t happening with the current interface. It’s a good idea to separate the “none” button from the rest of the selections since they don’t all track together. When the “none” button is hilited, the others would all be off. I’ve also changed the “Email You?” to just “Email” so it can generically mean “status” and work with either a positive response (send 1-5) or a negative (none).

Whaddya think?

Thanks for any clarity you can offer…

…Bob W.

Hmm…

thanks for the thoughts on it bob, but I think we’ll probably just keep it how it is.

A lot of people have used it so far by looking in the database and nobody’s complained about it being confusing…

Also, the radio interface you suggest is pretty much what we have now, with a reverse thermometer of yeses and nos instead of checked boxes and uncheckboxes.

I think the fact that you didn’t get the announcements was just due to a bug actually! It wasn’t working for the first announcement or so. There haven’t been any announcements since July 30th too so that’d explain why you haven’t gotten anymore!

josh!

Hi, Josh…

You wrote:

[quote]thanks for the thoughts on it bob, but I think we’ll probably
just keep it how it is.
A lot of people have used it so far by looking in the database
and nobody’s complained about it being confusing…

[/quote]

Well, now… that doesn’t mean it isn’t.

[quote]Also, the radio interface you suggest is pretty much what we have
now, with a reverse thermometer of yeses and nos instead of checked
boxes and uncheckboxes.

[/quote]

From a UI design standpoint… not quite. Clicking a “no” when you mean “yes” is very different from hiliting a radio button. The actions aren’t analogous.

But hey, I’m sure you have bigger fish floatin’ around.

[quote]I think the fact that you didn’t get the announcements was just
due to a bug actually! It wasn’t working for the first announcement
or so. There haven’t been any announcements since July 30th too so
that’d explain why you haven’t gotten anymore!

[/quote]

Yeah, there were two that I missed, IIRC.

Thanks…

…Bob W.

The reason for not having the “No Annoucments” button is that top level 5 announcments will always be sent to you regardless, so having that would be confusing.

Wil