Email Not Arriving Again

Hi, I’m once again experiencing a symptom I saw a few weeks ago. I have, say, an email address that is set up here to both go to a mailbox as well as be forwarded to my sbcglobal.net address.

Earlier this morning, email was no longer showing up in my mailbox here, only the forward was working.

Now it looks like neither is working.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, according to the control panel, this issue was first brought to support’s attention 6 HOURS AGO!!!

My email is completely dead. Hmm… certainly hope no important email has come in during the last 6 HOURS. If so, I guess it’s been routed off to Dreamhost incompetency-Never-Neverland.

I have had the same problem all morning (on the spunky mail cluster). Here is what the support page says:

Current system outages you are tracking:

Verified mail outage
3 hours 31 mins ago: We are currently having networking issues that is causing this issue, we are working on resolving it and should have it fixed soon, in the mean time you can keep an eye on our status page for any updates on the matter http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/ -javier
3 hours 31 mins ago: We are currently having networking issues that is causing this issue, we are working on resolving it and should have it fixed soon, in the mean time you can keep an eye on our status page for any updates on the matter http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/ -javier
7 hours 6 mins ago: Outage verified: We are actively looking into resolving it.
7 hours 11 mins ago: Outage first reported.

(I’ve been trying to post this message for the past hour, the forum software keeps giving me error 500.)

I transfered 5 of my sites to dreamhost yesterday because I thought they seemed like a good host. I now have gone an entire day with no email and no ftp access.

A bad decision by me I guess.

Bad timing, to be sure! This is not the norm for Dreamhost, which is usually a solid platform. The last two days have been pretty bad!
–rlparker

Somebody mention my name? :wink:

Things have been poorly for the past couple of days. Email is hit and/or miss on the S***** mail cluster. Perhaps part of the cluster has run out of ports or just run aground? I wonder if the fileserver problem could be the ‘root’ of our problems.
Now then, will this post or not?

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Not working again today. This is getting ridiculous.

My mail’s been working fine, and I seem to be on spunky judging from my mail headers.

Looking at dreamhoststatus.com, there’s a fileserver that’s not doing so well, which is affecting mail. They’ve been working non-stop on it.

-Scott

Day number 3 with no email. I guess this is when I ask for a refund. 3 days is enough.

Well, if it’s only your e-mail and not your whole site, you’re lucky. Day 3 that both of my sites are somewhere between completely down or slow as hell. Damn, I want to make money with my sites, and it’s the 3rd day I can’t even work on them.

I don’t know what kind of customer treatment it is, to keep a fileserver online which doesn’t work properly (see www.dreamhoststatus.com) after two days of tryin’ it! They must have a backup server for those cases - so why not transfer the files to a new and stable server, put that one online and then keep tryin’ to find out what’s wrong with the old one, when customers aren’t affected anymore.

3 days is definitely too much!!!

My email seems to be working ok, since it tanked on Friday. But, its been three days since I have had stable web service. I’m on the same server as others with email issues here, so its weird how it only affects some.

Fortunately weekends are slow for me right now, but I sure hope this gets fixed soon. This is a helluva lot of downtime.

http://blog.dreamhosters.com/ has more info that seems to be fairly current. Here’s a message they received this morning:

Hello,

As you may know, we recently had a network filing system crash causing severe downtime. When a filer like this crashes, it basically has to go through each of the it’s disks to verify that they are ok, and can accept, read or change data. This takes an extremely long time, due to the sheer size of the machine (two terabytes!).

Once we got the machine up, fixed and serving files, everything seemed like it was ok, so we went back to making sure all content, data and websites were working normally.

Right about then, it crashed again! This time, however, it came back up correctly, so it didn’t take as long as it had previously.

That was 6am PST this morning. Since then, we are currently constructing a new filer machine (we had to cannibalize two just to get this current one back up and running) to offload everyone. In the meantime, it has crashed again, however, it seems to come back up in the correct state. If possible, you may want to get any sensitive, or important data off of your account, just to be safe. We are working on getting everyone off the faulty machine, however, as you can imagine, it will take sometime.

We are terribly sorry about the problems related to this disaster and hope to have everything stabilized and working ASAP. Please understand that we are doing everything humanly possible (including working 24 hours shifts, and sleeping in our data center!) to get every site back up and running. If your domain is down, or showing an error, we are working on reconfiguring all of the effected services, and should have them fixed soon.

-Scott

Thanks for the info.