Email issues with Outlook

I have a client I just transferred to Dreamhost. Everything in their control panel is set up the way it should be. They have followed instructions for setting up email for everyone in their office and can see their email through Squirrel Mail but cannot receive it through Outlook. Curiously, they also cannot see their own web site although everyone we have tested it with can. They are on Windows XP Pro, using Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2. I have also tried setting myself up as a mail recipient and am successful getting mail delivered to my mail client.

Anyone ever seen this before? In the seven or so years I’ve been with Dreamhost and referring to Dreamhost I’ve never come across a problem like this. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

It sounds as if the new DNS record has not yet propagated enough for your client to make use of it if some people can access it and others cannot. I recommend that you instruct your client to run a trace to see if this is the case.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

I had the client run the trace. He said it made it through their ISP but kept getting timed out at their Dreamhost server. The screen grab is at http://www.siriusdesign.net/trace.jpg although I’ll warn you that he stopped the test after many time outs. Does this tell you anything? Also, I set myself up with an email account through the control panel and am able to send and receive email messages without a problem.

The screen grab indicates that the trace was unable to get through to their ISP, as if some firewall was blocking it (such as a router). It is possible that their local root server just hasn’t updated the DNS record yet. I ran the same trace from my location in Pennsylvania, and it made it in 11 hops. Can they see http://mlschmittelectric.com/ okay? If they can, then I’m afraid I haven’t a clue what the problem is.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL