Email filtering

I currently have my email server setup so that all email sent to "somebody.extension@mydomain.com" end up in the “somebody” mailbox.

I use postfix regexp domain filtering for that. Is there a way to replicate that with Dreamhost’s setup?

Thanks

I don’t know the answer, but have you thought about using “plus addressing”? This is a rather obscure part of the email standard that allows you to add a +tagoranythingyouwant to your username. For example, if you are first.last@yourdomain.tld, your mail server is supposed to deliver mail like first.last+dontspammeplease@yourdomain.tld to the first.last@yourdomain.tld mailbox. Not all mail servers comply with plus addressing, so it remains an open question whether you can do this here at Dreamhost.

As a downside I’ve noticed that a number of people’s web forms don’t take the plus sign as a valid character for email addresses.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

That’s mostly why I looped around + addressing, most webform refuse them. Since my domain had a limited number of users, we use first name domains.

I have to say that I want to keep this mostly for historical purposes. In the five years I have used this scheme, only the hotjob and constanttime extension have been used for spam, and hotjob was making it scrapable. All other companies I have dealt with have been pretty honorable and never used my email address for anything else.

sounds complicated. I don’t even know what you are talking about :frowning:

Will it help if you use google’s email server?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

The gmail servers do support plus addressing, but as mlongtin and I said, it’s mostly the web forms that have problems with plus addressing.

And these are exactly the places you want to use it - to trace who sold you out.

OTOH, it won’t be too long before spammer learn about plus addressing and just strip off the plus part. :frowning:

BTW, with free subdomains, would it help to have one real email address per subdomain and using catchall to forward to one mailbox?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons