Email bouncing

since 9am (EST) this morning, all emails send to me are bouncing back to the senders with “relay access denied” errors.

These emails are coming from many different servers (including hotmail & yahoo), so the problem isn’t with the sending servers.

Anyone else having this problem?

I’ve got a support ticket in, but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

My wife just called in a panic because folks emailing her are saying everything is bouncing back with error 554 ‘relay access denied’

Of course today is the day I’m not working at home so I can’t be there to see what’s up. I’m left to the forum here to await any news! :slight_smile:

Webmail access looks ok, but no new email has shown up since this morning (about 2 hours ago) I’d log into the panel and send a troubleticket, but I forgot my userid and pw. Hopefully someone is on top of this.

If anyone gets a response from DH, let us know here!

• MC

yep - I can access webmail too just fine, and my site is up too. I can send email from my account, just can’t receive any.

As soon as I hear from DH, I’ll post again.

Okay now, after all the good luck (basically immune to problems reported here), I am now a victim of bouncing e-mail. Please tell me it’s a temporary thing. This is for my critically important domain that I forward other e-mail to. I don’t think I will wait too long for it to get back up, to be frank.

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com

Support has shot back up to over 500 in the queue.

And this is in the Announcement:

Posted: Mar 17th, 2005 - 09:14:08 AM PST

Hello Dreamhosters–

Due to a misconfiguration on the mail cluster handling your mail, a lot of your mail has been
queueing on our servers instead of being delivered to your Inbox.

We’re reconfiguring the servers now and the queued mail should be delivered soon. A small
percentage of mail has also bounced. We’re extremely sorry about that!

Happy DreamHost Email Team

I must have been in that “small percentage” because every email that was sent to me this morning bounced back to it’s sender.

Yes, I was (and still am) in that “small percentage”. Still no email - I can check it fine, but I know that anything sent to my box is bouncing.

[quote]I don’t think I will wait too long for it to get back up, to be frank.

[/quote]

Thanks God! Just got my first e-mail from the queue, which was supposed to reach me about 2 and a half hours ago.

Let’s hope things are getting better. :fingers crossed:

[quote]I am now a victim of bouncing e-mail. Please tell me it’s a temporary thing.

[/quote]

I am sure it is a temporary thing. Just as all the problems with DH lately seem to be temporary things.

The real problem being there so many of them, recurring so often. I’d trade them for a few permanent faults I could workaround, anyday.

OOI which server is your bouncing address/box on? And how does one tell?

FWIW no bouncing here.

[quote]And this is in the Announcement:
Posted: Mar 17th, 2005 - 09:14:08 AM PST
Hello Dreamhosters–
Due to a misconfiguration on the mail cluster handling your mail, a lot of your mail has been

[/quote]

Can anyone tell me why that’s not on the (refeshed) Annoucements page (https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.announce)?

The page’s top posting is

PHP Configuration Change, allow_url_fopen Disabled (Policy Change)
Posted: Mar 16th, 2005 - 11:42:06 AM PST (23 hours 36 mins ago)

[quote]Happy DreamHost Email Team

[/quote]

What are they being fed? :wink:

I think the message was only posted to users on a specific server, so if you didn’t get the message, then you are probably not affected. Note: I think… not sure though. I don’t have the announcement either, and all email is working on my sites.

[quote]I think the message was only posted to users on a specific server,

[/quote]

It woudl have been more helpful to identify the server in the annoucement then.

[quote]so if you didn’t get the message, then you are probably not affected.

[/quote]

Or that the panel fails to show Annoucements “Accessible” accounts. Rather like it fails to show open support requests of same - a real PITA.

<Okay now, after all the good luck (basically immune to problems reported here), I am now a victim of bouncing e-mail. Please tell me it’s a temporary thing. This is for my critically important domain that I forward other e-mail to. I don’t think I will wait too long for it to get back up, to be frank.>

whoa :open_mouth:

stop the presses, pruf actually has something less than glowing to say about DH

:wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

[quote]stop the presses, pruf actually has something less than glowing to say about DH

[/quote]

If you are talking about me, then it is nothing new actually. I have both praised and criticized or even defend DreamHost in the past. Praise when they are doing a good job, criticize esp. when something bad happening to MY account for a longer than expected time frame (hey, I’m human), and defend when I come across some uninformed allegations. Simple, eh?

I’ve started receiving mail from the 16th this morning. I’m on murdock & I haven’t seen that message.

Same here- I got a bunch of messages from the 16th just this morning. The good thing is they weren’t totally lost. Mail seems to be working fine again. I’m on “sack,” and also didn’t get an announcement about this.

~Chell

Yowch! Can you post a sample header?

I’m on murdock, haven’t received that message, and am concerned.

[quote]I got a bunch of messages from the 16th just this morning. The good thing is they weren’t totally lost.

[/quote]

Thing is, loss tends to affect more the ones you /didn’t/ receive! :wink:

lol! Very true. Guess I’m just trying not to get all worked up. And the ones I really needed and expected weren’t lost.

~Chell