Email address configuration?

Howdy.

I’ve got a couple of domains registered with dreamhost that are hosted elsewhere. [Why, you ask? basically that the other hosting company is a local nonprofit that the other organizations want to support.]

I’ve depended on dreamhost for e-mail aliasing, but with the new version of the control panel, the configuration for e-mail aliasing seems to be “lost” for those accounts. Am I missing something obvious, or was a policy change embedded in the software change?

[Yes, I’ve asked support, but I need an answer by tomorrow a.m. and thought someone else might have solved this.]

Thanks.

-N

Yeah I filed an emergency ticket but they’ve not responded in over an hour now. In a while, my family’s business is losing hundreds of Emails.

Did you notice that Dreamhost doesn’t have live phone tech support ? In fact they’ll probably delete this post for me even mentioning it. I am getting really fed up with this BULLSHlT.

[quote]In fact they’ll probably delete this post for me even mentioning it. I am getting really fed up with this BULLSHlT.

[/quote]

To be fair, they rarely (if EVER at all) delete posts here, even if they are BS.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

My experience too.

Ya, same with comments on the blog. I’ve only ever seen stuff deleted once when a guy was in here cussing up a storm and not saying anythign useful. He also spamed the K-base. Aside for the extreme unappropiate stuff DH never deletes stuff.

-Matttail

Can I ask what configuration you need that isn’t in the panel anymore?

Mail > Manage Addresses
is where one goes to set up, say, e-mail forwarding from
someone@domain.parked.at.dreamhost to myemail@somewhere.else

The UI on that screen was no longer functioning for an account that was “domain name registration” only.

Support replied (c. 22 hours for those who are counting):

“We have made some changes about how the accounts work on our system, and we no longer offer parking service.”

I guess I can see how their decision makes sense (and they’ve offered me what is a reasonable compromise), but it’s going to take me a bit to think through all the implications. [And they still need to track down things like http://dreamhost.com/domains/ where it still says
"Our domain registration services are seamlessly integrated with our web hosting offerings. Not ready to host a website just yet? Not a problem. Unlimited e-mail aliases and domain parking are FREE to all DreamHost customers!"]

I thought their domain parking (with unlimited e-mail forwarding) was a good deal even when it was $25/yr, and I’m sorry they’ve chosen to cut out the options between a bare bones 9.95/yr domain registration and the L1 9.95/month hosting plan. But I can see where my case (choosing a web host that does not offer all the features I need) is probably atypical and not worth the expense of complicating their business.

Overall, I guess I’ll stick for the domains that I’m hosting here – but I need to go through my list of folks I’ve recommended them to.

And if anyone can recommend a registrar that does provide subdomain and e-mail forwarding for parked domains …

For the record, they have now updated the description of domain hosting to say:

“Our domain registration services are seamlessly integrated with our web hosting offerings. Not ready to host a website just yet? Not a problem. You can easily add hosting plans later after securing your domain name today!”

[quote]“We have made some changes about how the accounts work on our
system, and we no longer offer parking service.”

[/quote]

I do hope they find a less misleading way to say that, given the panel still offers:

Set to Parked (A place-holder web site with a generic DreamHost ‘coming soon’ message.)