Email account set up question

I have set up five different email names for one of my domains ( name1 @domain, name2 @domain, etc.). When an email is sent to name1 it arrives at all five mailboxes. I checked all 5 webbased email accounts.
what did I do wrong in the set up and how can I correct this mistake? … 5 people getting emails that are not intended for them, they are going to murder me :-/

The most likely cause IME is the webmail login fault which can erroneously login to the wrong mailbox. Are all your five passwords the same, by any chance?

yes, I gave them all the same password as ‘default’ thinking they will change it as soon as their mailboxes were activated. I will change the pws right now. thanks for this tip, maybe that will take care of it.

another domain has the same problem, I have set up three email names, two of them just to be forwarded to the third one. if mail is sent to this third name, the other two receive that mail also. Doesn’t seem right. Any ideas for that problem?

[quote]I will change the pws right now. thanks for this tip, maybe that will take care of it.

[/quote]

Good luck in ensuring the users retain different passwords! Else the results can be pretty disasterous - if one user mistype his/her username, webmail doesn’t reject the unknown username but instead logs in to some other mailbox oin that domain. Bad enough is that one user then gets to read another’s mail, but worse is that if he doesn;t notice he’sin another’s mailbox (once logged in the webmail doesn’t say which mailbox you’re in) he can easily delete the owner’s messages and send emails under the owner’s name before noticing, if ever.

If anyone finds a config workaround for this, I’d be grateful to know.

[quote]another domain has the same problem, I have set up three email names, two of
them just to be forwarded to the third one. if mail is sent to this third name,
the other two receive that mail also. Doesn’t seem right. Any ideas for that problem?

[/quote]

I suggest the cause is the same. I.e. the mail has gone to just one mailbox, but your three logins are going in to that same mailbox, making it look to you as if three mailboxes got the same mail.

chrisjj, I asume you have this problem too, is Dreamhost aware of this, or am I the only one with this problem?

[quote]chrisjj, I asume you have this problem too,

[/quote]

I do.

[quote]is Dreamhost aware of this

[/quote]

I don’t know. I haven’t bothered to tell them because I recall the DH response to previous webmail bug reports was that DH was not aboe fix them because webmail was an externally sourced program.