Efficient way to redirect old static URLs to PN?

apps

Hi everyone. I am migrating an old static html site to PostNuke. I have run several pn sites before, but this is the first time that I am converting an old site over.

I have many directories that will still be getting traffic from the world and search engines &c to locations like /businesses/index.html or /businesses/autos.html that need to be redirected to new URL in the PN site in the web links modue. I would like to know if there is a way to do the rewrites in PN itself, or if I should use server side rewrites/redirects to the new PN urls? Thanks in advance for any advice. Hi everyone. I am migrating an old static html site to PN. I have run several pn sites before, but this is the first time that I am converting an old site over.

I have many directories that will still be getting traffic from the world and search engines &c to locations like /businesses/index.html or /businesses/autos.html that need to be redirected to new URL in the PN site in the web links modue. I would like to know if there is a way to do the rewrites in PN itself, or if I should use server side rewrites/redirects to the new PN urls? I have not used many of the control panel rewrite functionality on DH before, and would like advice on the best and most server-friendly way to do it here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

–chris

Double post in a single post??? :stuck_out_tongue:

You can use htaccess to redirect people to your new site.

Thanks. Would I be right in assuming that I could do an entire site worth of redirects with a single .htaccess in the site’s root directory?

Sorry about the freaky double post, I must have had a pasting mishap when copying the text back from spellcheck.net.

Appreciate the help,

–chris

Would I be right in assuming that I could do an entire site worth of redirects with a single .htaccess in the site’s root directory?

That’s correct. Directives in an .htaccess file in the root directory of your site are applied to the entire site, including any subdirectories.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.