Easy way to increase PHP.ini memory?

Hey everyone, long time Dramhost user (+8y) first time commenter. I’m having trouble with Bbpress plugin for Wordpress, and according to the Wordpress forums I need to increase the available memory in my PHP.ini file to 256MB.

I’ve read the Dreamhost Wiki, and everything and I can’t for the life of me understand anything there. (Marketing major here!) does anyone know if its possible to get someone from inside Dreamhost to do this for me? I’m afraid I might brake something (Which is kind of hard because I don’t know how to do anything related to this topic)

Please help :slight_smile:

If it’s not possible to receive help from someone on dreamhost, can anyone please explain to me as if I’m a completely dummy how to get this done? (Increase php.ini memory to 256MB)

Thanks!

Never used WP at Dreamhost, but at other hosts it can be changed by adding this to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M'); 

Or you can do similar in php.ini. However, DH may have a limit of 128M (which many shared hosts do.)

Thanks so much for your help, however tried it and didn’t work. I’m still researching on the topic and everywhere I look they say I should increase the memory of the PHP,ini file, however I’m still looking for options as to why this keeps happening because I’m almost positive I won’t be able to update that file by myself.

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Well if you have access to your php.ini, the actual command would be:

memory_limit = 256M

But as I said, there are probably limits set by DH and 256M is higher than I’ve actually seen (most are 64Mb or 128M.)

It depends which version of PHP you’re using.

If for example you’ve updated to PHP5.4 you can simply add a phprc file to your userspace.

If you’re setting your memory over 128M, you need to step back and take a long, hard, look at what’s in your site that’s using THAT much memory. bbPress does not need 256 out of the box, though that said, it doesn’t really ‘cache’ well, so you may want to look in to the OTHER plugins on your site. If everything you have on the site is something that you absolutely need, and it still needs more memory, you’re looking at a case where you may need a VPS. Which I hate suggesting :confused:

What’s the problem you’re having with bbpress?

I suggest that check your pluggin first before setting your memory to 256. Since 256 is the max limit and if you still prefer to increase your memory then this codex wordpress maybe helpful.