Easy vs. Advanced WordPress installs?

apps

I’m considering signing up for a Dreamhost account to build a WordPress site for a small nonprofit organization. I’m accustomed to doing my own WP installs including plugins and custom theme hacking but they may not always have anyone around with technical skills so I plan to make their site very “vanilla.”

I have a number of questions about the capabilities and limitations of Dreamhost’s “Easy” WP installations. I’ve prowled the wiki and forums and haven’t found answers yet. Is all of this documented somewhere and I missed it?

• What plugins are available in Easy mode?
  • What themes are available in Easy mode?
  • Although Easy mode gives you “no access to files” for themes and plugins, does it give you access to the CSS and images for the supported themes?
  • If Easy mode becomes too constraining, is it possible to switch to Advanced mode later?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

You can always experiment (and get answers to these questions) by signing up for a free Apps account.
http://dreamhostapps.com/

Since you know what you’re doing, I recommend that you set up an Advanced WordPress account and retain the admin account for yourself. Give your users their own logins that are set their role to Editor. They’ll be able to do anything except change the features of your site. In other words, content only.

A one-click Advanced can be set to auto-update, which is similar to the Easy install. Except as an Advanced install, you won’t face any limitations you’ll regret later.

Scott, thanks very much. I guess experimentation is the way to go. It would be nice if the answers were written down somewhere, particularly to my question about whether it’s possible to move from Easy to Advanced.

As to why I don’t just go with Advanced from the git-go: I’m hoping to set up a WordPress install that will keep running without me in the loop at all. I think I’d trust wordpress.com for that purpose, but it’s pretty expensive once you pay for “extras” like no ads.

[quote=“pzriddle, post:3, topic:53139”]
… It would be nice if the answers were written down somewhere, particularly to my question about whether it’s possible to move from Easy to Advanced.[/quote]

You mean like in this wiki article?:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Easy_to_advanced_Wordpress

Really, exploring the wiki will reveal a lot of stuff written down!

RL, thanks. I swear I did RTFM but obviously I missed this one. I appreciate your filling me in.

Now, is the list of supported themes and plugins documented anywhere? Or should I take Scott’s suggestion and just experiment?