E-mails often down

You know, I’m really starting to be pissed at Dreamhost’s poor e-mail services.

E-mails get lost. Either some I never receive, or some are never sent and the receipient never get.

Should I start looking for another provider or will Dreamhost finally fix all those e-mails issues for good? At least they could set up a backup MX!

I’m with you on this one. I have been having nothing but trouble with my email service lately on my Dreamhost account. I certainly hope they get it fixed soon, or my next site will be with a different host.

A big “Me too” here…

Ever since I switched to dreamhost a couple months ago, my users (who use IMAP) have been ready to bite my head off. There’s tons of stories about lost email too. I prepaid for a year of the code monster, and am now thinking about asking for a refund since it’s clear they’re not capable of running a mail server.

I left my UML provider because of the lack of disk performance/size, which are now minor complaints compared to this email stupidity. I’ve opened several tickets that all get closed with a form reply right after I open them. I keep asking them how many IMAP connections their servers allow to be cached so I can at least optimize that, but nobody in their tech support section is capable of hunting down an admin to get the answer.

That said, web space has been fine, which I mainly use for a few gigabyte large personal photo gallery. There was a mysql issue, but it was minor compared to this. Does anybody know of a good IMAP/POP/Webmail email provider that can host multiple domains? I’m willing to pay a reasonable fee, but I want something reliable. I’m not looking for Joe Wannabe’s single coloed box, but something that uses words like ‘cluster’, ‘failover’, ‘backed up’, etc.

At least they now mention the problems at http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

[quote]Mail delays
Posted 19 hours, 17 minutes ago (September 5th, 2006 at 10:18 am PST) by andrea

Some of our customers may experience some mail delays this morning. Due to the earlier filer problem (see post right below this one), mail is backed up. The MX machines are pushing through mail again, and it’s slowly catching up. This has affected the filter machines as well, so junk mail delivery is slow too. Things should be back to normal within a couple of hours. No mail was lost.

Sorry about the inconvenience. [/quote]

Until it goes back down again the next day… :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe I’m just one of the lucky few, but I haven’t had a problem since I signed up this past January. I mean, there was the small issue of the fubared server configuration, but that only lasted half an hour and they did tell me exactly what they broke to begin with. I’ll be damned if I can remember, though.

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the “haveadreamyday” promo code, and… have a dreamy day. Original, no?

Everything was fine for me too at first. The above-mentioned problems just started recently.

DH offers email? I thought they stopped, it hasn’t worked much better than snail mail for the past few weeks. I can have a file shipped to me on disc faster than I can DL it from DH.

I had actually begun to think that’s what they’re doing. They put all my email on a disc, and some guy runs from LA to here. In the middle of the night, he breaks into my office and copies the email onto my HD.

:wink:

GiraffeDesign.com

They use standard USPS, unless you go with their Code Monster plan, which then they will send you the mail with Purolator!

Recipient may never get, is possibly because from time to time i have noticed dreamhost in SpamCop… I have had some email bounces on this.

I also have problems with IMAP timeouts in moz thunderbird.

http://karl.hiramoto.org/

My mail has been down a lot ever since I transfered here over a year ago. I can’t say I ever lost mail. And, I think my sent mail always got to its destination, however. I gave up trying to send mail from DH’s servers and use my ISP’s SMPT now. About an hour ago several mail boxes were down but they are back up again. I’ve gotten used to it.

Unreliable mail is the #1 reason I have never recommended DH to anyone. Anyone who runs a business and relies on email would hate DH. I’ve put up with it so far because I’m so cheap.

Terry

Nothing but problems and it seems to be getting worse. I am going to be leaving this terrible service asap.

I constantly don’t get email and receive an angry phone call from a client or when I send my mail gets rejected as spam - even if I have emailed this person dozens of times prior. My attachments are even categorized as having viruses when my computer is virus free.

Hmm. I very rarely have problems with DreamHost’s e-mail service. E-mails usually are sent and received instantly (or close enough to it as to make no difference). I even use DreamHost’s SMTP for my outgoing e-mail because it is more reliable than my ISP’s. In case it matters, I use port 587 for outgoing mail (my ISP blocks 25 unless you’re using their SMTP, hah).

[website | stephen harper | myspace]