E-Mail Reliability Concerns

I was reading a post a few down from here about e-mails during the downtime. A couple of users stated that they were not able to receive the e-mails, and that the messages were being bounced back to the original sender.

To me, this is totally unacceptable from a webhost. I heavily rely on my Dreamhost e-mail account as my primary account. From my experience, even with downtime, e-mail is stored in a queue and will be delivered once the servers are back up and running. Is this not the case? I can handle downtime as long as I can receive the e-mails eventually… Thanks for any clarification.

The Psychotic Shack
http://www.psychshack.net/

That is the case.
Other than a temporary deferral notice, you shouldn’t get an error. Even worst case scenario (all of our DNS servers, including the offsite one, are unreachable), the mail should still fail temporarily and be queued. A mail server is supposed to hold the mail and attempt to deliver it for at least 4 days before returning it to the sender.

Do you have an example of any of the bounce messages? This sounds like a misconfigured server on the other end.

I personally did not have any problems, but I was reading another post on this board on which a few people said they were. I am just being extra-cautious, as I have had some serious problems with other ISPs in the past. If the mail is queued, then I really don’t have anything to worry about. Thanks!

The Psychotic Shack
http://www.psychshack.net/

[quote]Other than a temporary deferral notice, you shouldn’t get an
error. Even worst case scenario (all of our DNS servers, including > the offsite one, are unreachable), the mail should still fail
temporarily and be queued.

[/quote]

I lost mail during the major downtime. Mail HARD bounced and didn’t just SOFT bounce (I know the difference). The tech support folks admitted this, but tried to brush it off in their usual annoying way, saying that this only happened in the morning (as if that makes a difference). Yesterday, there was some sort of error with the system disks filling up, so messages SOFT bounced (452 errors).

Unfortunately, on some systems, like YahooGroups, soft-bounces are not redelivered, so you have to figure out what you missed and read from the web site.

The only reason I haven’t canceled my account is because of the community of other DreamHost people whose comraderie I value. DreamHost better wake up. If enough of us get tired of the BS, there could be a mass exodus to a new system that delivers without excuses and does it at the same price.

I have been having trouble accessing my mail via Outlook. However, if I try to access it through webmail, there is no problem.

Even the FTP server is down. I don’t think its a problem only I am experiencing. DREAMHOST, please help me out. There is no announcement anywhere.

Could you send me some examples of hard bounce messages from during the network outage (via support)?