DynDNS.org won't allow DNS changes?

I’ve got a domain name that I registered with DynDNS.org a while ago. Now, I want to host that site at DreamHost, but DynDNS says that they don’t allow nameserver changes. Well, they allow incoming transfers, but not outgoing. How do I get this to point at Dreamhost? I’m confused.

Registrar transfers and nameserver changes are two totally separate things. I think any registrar /has/ to let you do either of these things, though I could be wrong.

Ugh. Generally, I’m just really confused about this. I currently have my site hosted in my living room, but my upload speed is so slow that I wanted to move it to DreamHost.

At DynDNS.org, I see no way to change my DNS names. I get the feeling that if I could setup DreamHost to tell DynDNS to point my domain to it’s website that I’d be all set. Yet, I don’t see that option, either. When I try to ‘transfer’ the domain to DH, I get an error message on the button (which I wrote to support about).

My previous config: setup my router at home to tell DynDNS where my webserver was. The router had my username and password with DynDNS. How in the world do I get the domain to point to my account on DH?

What’s the domain name?

It’s still pulling from my living room. I’ve turned off the DDNS stuff in the router, but DynDNS refuses to let go of the IP.

According to the whois output:
Please login to your account at https://www.dyndns.org/account/ to
manage nameservers and contacts for your domain(s).

The domain is actually registered through OpenSRS - dyndns is the reseller. You should be able to change:
NS1.MYDYNDNS.ORG
NS2.MYDYNDNS.ORG
NS3.MYDYNDNS.ORG
NS4.MYDYNDNS.ORG
NS5.MYDYNDNS.ORG

to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com from their web interface.

Thanks for your assistance. DynDNS has a terrible interface. They ‘highly recommend’ that you don’t change your DNS servers, so they hide the interface that allows it. I swear that I spent at least 4 hours trying to find that interface, and I finally did this morning.

So, thank you very much. I assume that it takes 12-24 hours to propagate out?

[quote]I assume that it takes 12-24 hours to propagate out?

[/quote]

Should be much faster now with VeriSign’s rapid DNS update. :wink:

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now