Dynamic DNS?

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a Dynamic DNS subdomain to point to my pc so I can have a web domain constantly pointing to my pc. I currently have this working using DynDNS but I would like it to be available from within my own domain. At the minute each time I connect to the internet it automatically updats the DynDNS entry to my current IP through a feature built in to my router. Does anyone know how to set this up? I have a feeling it might not be possible but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks
David

Can’t pull this off here.

Are you using cable or DSL? My cable IP address rarely changes, and I understand it’s the same with DSL. In that case, you can just manually update your domain’s DNS each time your IP address changes.

-Scott

DSL. The domain doesn’t change all that often but I’m away from the computer for 11 weeks at a time. I mainly use it to access my home computer while at uni but I think I’ll just stick with my DynDNS then because I pretty much rely on the dynamic updating.

Thanks

Alternatively, you could set up a cname record to point at your dyndns address. That works fine for me – I can test multiple websites with a testing server I have at home.

Like my help? Enter promo code 2FORME and you get the maximum off for your plan, minus 2$ - for me. :slight_smile:

You can take a more manual approach and have your home computer periodically log its IP address somehow. Either a morning email which will have headers containing its IP address, or some script that updates a file on your domain that’ll contain its IP address, or even create a specific webpage on your site that does a refresh every 6 or so hours so you can look in your logfile for the originating IP address. I’m not sure if a refresh will come up in the log, though.

If the IP address changes, then you can manually update your DNS entry.

-Scott

some DNS managers allow u to use dinamic IP.
No-ip charges for it.
either u go with the idea of using cnames, or u point one of your subdomains to zoneedit.com (my favorite DNS manager) and let them handle your dyn-ip.

BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
at http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?249195
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans