Duplicating a live site to test site

I’ve been working all day to attempt to create a test site. I use Xenforo software and have been following the instructions step-by-step.

Created a new database. Created a new /test directory on my server via my FTP client. Now I was ready to export my live site’s database to my hard drive and import into the new test database.

I tried to export my database. Selected all tables and clicked SQL as the type of export file. Then I compressed the file. Clicked Go and it downloaded to my computer. Went to the test database and imported and got this error:

[color=#4682B4]#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ’
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tri’ at line 1

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 86246608 bytes) in /usr/local/dh/web/phpmyadmin/export.php on line 133
[/color]

Contacted support and didn’t receive much help. All he said was -sounds like a problem with my sql file. Try it again. So i tried again and this time did NOT compress the file. Looks like it was fully downloaded. About 290mb. Tried to import. It imported to 100% over about 15 minutes and then pops up an error message tells me my file is too large.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what to do in this situation?

I’m pretty new at this and although I’m able to muddle my way through most things, consider me a novice if you are kind enough to assist. Thank you!